1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy of the system increase or decrease?

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    When two electrons move away from each other, does the potential energy of the system increase or decrease?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What work have you done? What is the potential energy of two electrons separated by a certain distance?

4. Oct 8, 2005 #3
    No, this is a question where numerial values are given. I thought that the totla potential energy stays the same because they both move off in differnt directions

5. Oct 8, 2005 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand, what are you saying "no" to?

Why do you think this? Again let me ask, what is the potential energy of two electrons separated by a certain distance? How does it change with the distance?

6. Oct 9, 2005 #5
    In this case the potential energy of the system is given by k(-e)(-e)/r where r is the distance between the axes. As the two electrons move away from each other , the 'r' increases and thus the P.E decreases , because the system will always prefer to have minimum PE , therefore two electrons SHOULD remain away from each other.That is why the two electrons repel each other.

BJ

7. Oct 9, 2005 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: If the sum of the kinetic and potential energy is a constant and the kinetic energy increases what happens to the potential energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?