1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Energy of Two Atoms?

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The potential energy of two atoms separated by a distance r may be written as:

U(r) = 4Uatomic * [(r0/r)12 - (r0/r)6]

>Given r0 = 4.0 Ao and Uatomic = -0.012795 eV, what is the distance at which there is no net force between the atoms? Express your answer in terms of Ao.

>What is the potential energy at the position where the net force is 0 N? Express your answer in terms of eV.

2. Relevant equations
    The above equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using Coulomb's Law, but I don't know the charges so it's not very helpful. Finding the total energy is also not relevant since I don't know mass or velocity. I'm pretty stuck here. I know once I find the first part I can find the second part easily, but I feel like I'm overlooking something simple for the first part of the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: What's the relationship between force and the potential function? (Use calculus.)

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3
    F = -dU/dr :) I tried it and it worked! Thanks for the hint!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted