Potential energy problem , i

In summary, the conversation is about an assignment on Electric Potential Energy. The problem involves a small sphere hanging between two parallel vertical plates with a given surface charge density and a known charge on the sphere. The question is to determine the potential difference between the plates that will cause the thread to assume an angle of 30 degrees with the vertical. By drawing a free body diagram and resolving forces in the x and y direction, the answer is found to be V = Mgtan(30)/q.
kuwaiteng
hello !
i have an assignment on Electric Potential Energy , can anyone help me on solving it ?
the problem says : A small sphere with mass 2.70 g hangs by a thread between two large parallel vertical plates 5.00 cm apart.
The plates are insulating and have uniform surface charge densities . The charge on the sphere is q = 8.80×10^−6 C .
What potential difference between the plates will cause the thread to assume an angle of 30.0 with the vertical ?
see the figure :P

Attachments

• yf_Figure_23_32.jpg
    yf_Figure_23_32.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
draw the FBD of the sphere and resolve the forces in the x and y direction

thanx ,, i think i got the answer by drawing the diagram :
E = Mgtan(30)
F=E\q
V= E.d
it is right ?

Related to Potential energy problem , i

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work in the future.

What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is energy that an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

What are some examples of potential energy?

Examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, a book on a shelf, and a ball at the top of a hill.

How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for potential energy is PE=mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

How does potential energy relate to everyday life?

Potential energy is present in many everyday situations, such as when a pendulum is pulled back before being released, when a car is parked at the top of a hill, or when a person is at the top of a staircase. It is also important in understanding concepts such as energy conservation and the laws of thermodynamics.