1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy problem

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Potential energy problem

A man that has a mass of 80.0 kg, wearing a backpack with a mass of 20.0 kg, climes 8848 m to the top of Mount Everest. What is his potential energy?

The only one I know of is PE=mgh

I added the masses, then plugged it into the equation, but I didn't get the answer.

Edit:It was already in meters. Sorry.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you convert the height in feet to meters?

4. Jan 15, 2008 #3
    Sorry, it was in meters already. I apparently can't type well today.

5. Jan 15, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is that equation only holds for short distances above the Earths surface since g depends on the height above the Earth. Have you seen any other formula for gravitational potential energy?

6. Jan 15, 2008 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kurdt, 8848 m is a short distance above the surface of the Earth, so that is definitely not the problem.

Twilit_Truth needs to show some work if we are to figure out what the real problem is. I'm guessing he's either making a calculational error, or doing something silly like using 32 for g, when everything is in mks units. Or possibly it's more subtle. Perhaps he is using a different datum than the answer key is using. IOW, perhaps he is setting V=0 at the surface of the Earth, while the author of the book sets V=0 at the center of the Earth or at infinity.

Twilit_Truth: Let's see how you're doing this.

7. Jan 15, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

haha sorry. Long time since I've done one of these. Guess I was jumping too far ahead on tracking the problem.

8. Jan 15, 2008 #7
    Ok, I'll try to show you what I did. Just so you know, this is a multiple choice question.

First off, I combined the masses of the climber and the pack, resulting in a total mass of 100. kg. Then, I multiplied it by 9.81, which is the only value that I know of for g when on the Earth. This came to 981 N. Finally, I multiplied this by the height, which is 8848 m, and got 8679888 J.

The problem is, the answers are:

A) 6.94E6 J
    B) 4.16E6 J
    C) 2.47E6 J
    D) 1.00E6 J

I don't know where I went wrong. I was absent while they taught this, so I probably messed up somewhere. Thank you both for your time.

9. Jan 15, 2008 #8

hage567

Homework Helper

Why are there 4 answers? Is this question supposed to be part A,B,C or D?

10. Jan 15, 2008 #9
    It's a multiple choice question. Only one answer is right out of those four.

11. Jan 15, 2008 #10

hage567

Homework Helper

Oh I get it.

Anyway, I believe this is somewhat of a trick question. The question asks what is *HIS* potential energy.

Think about it.

12. Jan 15, 2008 #11
    Good eye. Thank you for the help.

13. Jan 15, 2008 #12

hage567

Homework Helper

You're welcome.

14. Jan 15, 2008 #13
    I did His force, and it came out to be 6943910.4 i figure that is one of your answers
    Answer A

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?