Potential Energy Problem

In summary: In this case, the reference point is the top of the cliff (where y=0), and the point in question is the ground (where y=-12.5 m). So the gravitational PE at the ground is -mgy=(-1.50 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(-12.5 m)=183.75 J. Note that the negative sign in the equation accounts for the fact that the gravitational PE decreases as the snowball falls towards the ground. In summary, a 1.50 kg snowball is fired from a cliff 12.5 m high with an initial velocity of 14.0 m/s at 41.0 degrees above the horizontal. The work done by the
Ginny Mac
A 1.50 kg snowball is fired from a cliff 12.5 m high. The snowball's initial velocity is 14.0 m/s, directed at 41.0 degrees above the horizontal. (a) How much work is done by the gravitational force during its flight to the flat ground below the cliff? (b) What is the change in gravitational potential energy of the snowball-Earth system during flight? (c) If the grav. potential energy is taken to be zero at the height of the cliff, what is its value when the snowball reaches the ground?

For (a), I have used
Wg= mgd (cos theta) to get Wg = (1.50 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(12.5 m)(cos41), and arrived at -.987 J/m.

For (b), wouldn't this be indeterminate? I thought we needed a reference point for y to calculate the change in gravitational potential energy.

For (c), I used U-Uinitial = mg(y-yinitial), and arrived at -183.75 J. My reasoning is that the change in potential energy does not depend on choice of reference point for the snowball on the ground (at y=0), so instead it depends on change in y. Therefore, we get change in U = (1.50 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0-12.5 m)=-183.75 J.

I think I am getting caught up and confused in physical properties, etc. Please help if I am wrong or please let me know if I am correct in my reasoning! Thank you so much.

Gin

Physics news on Phys.org
Ginny Mac said:
For (a), I have used
Wg= mgd (cos theta) to get Wg = (1.50 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(12.5 m)(cos41), and arrived at -.987 J/m.
Realize that gravity acts straight down, not at an angle. And since the displacement and the force are in the same direction, the work done will be positive. And the units of work would be J, not J/m.

For (b), wouldn't this be indeterminate? I thought we needed a reference point for y to calculate the change in gravitational potential energy.
The change in gravitational potential energy does not depend on the reference point used. Pick any reference point you like. (If they ask, like in the next part, for the potential energy--not just the change--then they must give a reference point. And they did for part c.)

For (c), I used U-Uinitial = mg(y-yinitial), and arrived at -183.75 J. My reasoning is that the change in potential energy does not depend on choice of reference point for the snowball on the ground (at y=0), so instead it depends on change in y. Therefore, we get change in U = (1.50 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0-12.5 m)=-183.75 J.
Your answer is correct, but your reasoning is a bit convoluted (no need to calculate changes in PE). The gravitational PE is given by mgy, where y is measured from the reference point. If the point in question is below the reference point, then y is negative.

ny

Dear Ginny,

Your calculations for parts (a) and (c) are correct. For part (b), you are correct that we need a reference point for the change in gravitational potential energy. In this case, we can choose the height of the cliff (12.5 m) as our reference point, and the change in gravitational potential energy would be the negative of the work done by the gravitational force during the snowball's flight (as you calculated in part (a)). Therefore, the change in gravitational potential energy would be 0.987 J/m.

I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you understand the concept of potential energy better. Keep up the good work!

Best,

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position or state. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into kinetic energy and do work.

2. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is stored energy, while kinetic energy is the energy of motion. Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its movement.

3. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include a stretched spring, a raised object, a compressed gas, and a chemical compound. In each case, the object has the potential to convert its stored energy into kinetic energy and do work.

4. How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the reference point.

5. How can potential energy be used in real life?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy to do work in various real-life situations. For example, potential energy in water stored behind a dam can be converted into kinetic energy to turn turbines and generate electricity. Another example is using the potential energy of a compressed spring to launch a projectile.