Potential Energy question Confusion on the sign

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of potential energy and how it relates to the direction and definition of coordinates. The speaker's question involves an exam problem where they used a simplified version of the potential energy equation and got incorrect answers. It is explained that the simplified equation is only valid under certain conditions and a general form of the equation should be used instead. The potential energy equation is also compared to the equation for kinetic energy, which is always positive. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of equations of motion and how they may or may not be affected by changes in directions or reference frames.
vuser88
Here is my question.

For example if i am standing on top of the empire state building and i define that to be height=0 and i define the downward direction to be positive. if i drop a mass does its potential energy increase based on my definition of direction?

My actual problem was an exam question we were asked to find the equation of motion of atwoods machine using energy conservation.

the way i defined it on the exam is the same way i described it previously. and instead of getting x(dbl dot) = g(m1-m2)/(m1+m2)

i came up with an extra minus sign in front of the g in the numerator...

is this wrong. should the equation of motion come out the same no matter how you define your directions ( as long as you are consistent)

Physics news on Phys.org
Also does kinetic energy depend on this sign definition

it shouldnt, kinetic energy is always positive...

In answer to your first question, the formula [Potential Energy= mgh] only works when you make h= altitude and you ignore all other forces. If you are going to change that, you need to move to a general form of the potential energy equation.

For your second question, KE=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv2, with M≥0, there is no way KE≤0.

This dosent make sense to me.

i didn't change the problem i just flipped it b.c it was more convenient i don't understand why its different now.

instead of one Mass 1 PE increasing, it decreases.

and

instead of Mass 2 PE decreasing, it increases.

i don't know anything anymore...

The Reason you're getting incorrect answers is that you are using a simplified version of the Potential Energy equation that is only valid under certain conditions. The equation you are probably using for Potential Energy is:
PE=mgh

Where: m= mass , g= acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s/s) , h= height off of the ground.

However, that is not a general equation for potential energy. That equation only works if:
a) Height is distance from the ground
b) You are not considering any other forces.

If you chance either one of those (i.e., changing your coordinates so H no longer equals height from the ground), you have to stop using the PE=mgh equation and start using the general equation for Potential Energy, which is detailed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_energy

The general form of the PE equation is considerably more complicated, so it would probably be easier to stick with the PE=mgh form and not to set H=0.

EDIT: Looking back on your original question, I noticed the last part regarding Equations of Motions I didn't see before. I could be mistaken, but I believe equations of motion should be the same if you change directions, but not if you change reference frames, though I am not positive of that.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses because of its position or state. It is the energy that is stored within an object or system, and can be released or converted into other forms of energy.

2. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

3. How is potential energy measured?

Potential energy is typically measured in joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). The specific formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of potential energy being measured, such as gravitational potential energy or elastic potential energy.

4. What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy. Each type of potential energy is associated with a specific force or interaction.

5. Why is there confusion about the sign of potential energy?

The sign of potential energy can be confusing because it depends on the frame of reference being used. In some cases, potential energy may be represented as a negative value, while in others it may be represented as a positive value. It is important to understand the context and frame of reference when interpreting the sign of potential energy.