Why Is the Derivative of Potential Energy Considered Force?

In summary, the potential energy of a body with mass "m" moving in one dimension is given by U(x)=U0 * (a/x + x/a -2). When asked for the power being put on the body, the solution is found by taking the derivative of the potential energy function, which represents the force on the body. This is a common convention, although the minus sign may seem counterintuitive at first.
transgalactic
the potential energy of a body which mass is "m"
and which is moving in one demention is given by:

U(x)=U0 * (a/x + x/a -2)
what is the power which being put on the body

the solution says F=-dU/dx=U0(-1/a + a/x^2)

which means that they are doing a derivative to the original expression.

but i can't understand why the derivative of potential energy is its power.

from high school i know the potential energy is U=m*g*h

and the only derivative that i know is for a(t)=v'(t) v(t)=x'(t)

so their solution is not logic to me at all

?

Physics news on Phys.org
transgalactic said:
the potential energy of a body which mass is "m"
and which is moving in one demention is given by:

U(x)=U0 * (a/x + x/a -2)
what is the power which being put on the body

the solution says F=-dU/dx=U0(-1/a + a/x^2)

which means that they are doing a derivative to the original expression.

but i can't understand why the derivative of potential energy is its power.

U(x) is a scalar function for potential. F=-dU/dx gives the force on the particle, not the power.

Look at the units of your quantities. A force applied over some distance is the "work" done on the particle; this has units of joules. Now, the work done over some time period is the power; P = dW/dt, which has units of joules per seconds. So, yes, something does seem quite strange if that is what your text is telling you.

transgalactic said:
from high school i know the potential energy is U=m*g*h

and the only derivative that i know is for a(t)=v'(t) v(t)=x'(t)

so their solution is not logic to me at all

?

Potential energy comes in many different forms. U=mgh is the gravitational potential energy for an object some height above Earth's surface. Another example is U=(1/2)kx^2, which is the potential energy of a mass-spring system. Your function U(x) is just some general function for a potential energy; for this problem, it appears that it is not overly important for you to know what type of potential energy it is, but rather, that by taking the derivative with respect to x, you can determine the force on the mass m at any position x where the potential is defined.

ok i understand that the force which is applied on
is the derivative of U(x)

but the definition of a derivative is dU/dx

why are they writing F=-dU/dx (why they add minus)

??

The minus sign is just a convention.

Consider a particle of mass m confined within the potential U(x) = x^2. The force on the particle is given by F=-dU/dx, right? Thus, F = -2x. Suppose that the particle is located at x=a with no initial kinetic energy. What is the force on the particle and its direction? F=-2a and the force acts to push the particle to the left, and down the "hill" (parabola). If there were no minus sign in front of dU/dx, then the force would act to push the particle to the right and into regions of higher potential. The minus sign convention seems to offer a better description in regards to physical reality.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work in the future.

What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy: gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy. Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. Chemical potential energy is the energy stored in chemical bonds. Nuclear potential energy is the energy stored in the nucleus of an atom.

How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of potential energy. For gravitational potential energy, the formula is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. For elastic potential energy, the formula is PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. For chemical potential energy, there is no specific formula as it depends on the chemical reaction. For nuclear potential energy, the formula is E = mc^2, where m is the mass of the nucleus and c is the speed of light.

What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

What are some real-life examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy in everyday life include a stretched rubber band, a book sitting on a shelf, a roller coaster at the top of a hill, and a compressed spring. These objects have the potential to do work when released or allowed to move due to the stored energy they possess.