Does Mass Change with Energy Exchange in Orbiting Bodies?

In summary: Chronos "If you borrow all the energy used from M, its mass will decrease and the mass of m will increase."In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between potential and kinetic energy in a system of two masses in orbit, and how it relates to Einstein's mass-energy equivalence principle. There is discussion about the location of potential energy and its effect on the masses of the objects. It is mentioned that under General Relativity, there is no energy in the field, and conservation of energy requires specific boundary conditions. It is also noted that gravitational energy does have a mass associated with it. Overall, the conversation delves into the complexities of understanding and interpreting potential energy in a gravitational system.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just made the following statement regarding two masses, M and m, in orbit about each other.

"Btw, IIRC [and I may not be... I will check], as the potential energy of the gravitational field of M, wrt to m, is converted to kinetic energy in m, the mass of M decreases according Einstein's mass/energy relationship. As m loses kinetic energy to potential energy the mass M increases. This accounts for the energy storage and exchange.

Am I screwing this up or does memory serve correctly? It makes sense but that is usually a bad sign. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I just made the following statement regarding two masses, M and m, in orbit about each other.

"Btw, IIRC [and I may not be... I will check],
What does "IIRC" mean?
..as the potential energy of the gravitational field of M, wrt to m, is converted to kinetic energy in m, [the mass of M decreases according Einstein's mass/energy relationship.
This is not quite clear to me. What do you mean by "potential energy of the gravitational field of M, wrt to m". "With respec to m"? The field itself does not have potential energy. There is a mutal potential energy between the two bodies.

Let's assume that you're referring to two bodies in orbit about each other for which the speed of each and the distance between them changes as a function of time. In such a case the kinetic energy and potential energy will change with time and (disgregarding energy carried away in gravitational waves) the total energy of the system will be constant. The proper mass of each body will remain constant.
Am I screwing this up or does memory serve correctly? It makes sense but that is usually a bad sign. :biggrin:
I think you're screwing it up big time. :frown:

Pete

Ivan Seeking said:
...as the potential energy of the gravitational field of M, wrt to m, is converted to kinetic energy in m, the mass of M decreases according Einstein's mass/energy relationship. As m loses kinetic energy to potential energy the mass M increases. This accounts for the energy storage and exchange.

Am I screwing this up or does memory serve correctly? :

Well your memory probably needs an upgrade, Ivan.
In Newtonian orbital mechanics the masses stay constant. The energy shuttles back & forth from kinetic to potential energy based upon a change in radial distances and velocities.

Creator :biggrin:

Opps; looks like I stepped over Pete.

Last edited:
Eeeeek! This stemmed from a question about where the potential energy is stored. What am I forgetting here?

Last edited:
IF you think I am forgetting about the energy exchange between potential and kinetic energy, that's not what I'm saying.

You seem to be using an elementary interpretation of potential energy.

Yes, no?

Oh yes, IIRC, If I recall correctly
Also, I meant the potential energy of the field at m, not wrt m.

Last edited:
When I see people use the term "potential energy is located at.." I runaway and hide.

Pete

Ivan Seeking said:
Eeeeek! This stemmed from a question about where the potential energy is stored. What am I forgetting here?

You're forgetting about DISTANCE between the two masses. Potential energy, U, varies inversely proportional to distance and is given by definition as:

U = -GMm/R

And yes, it is elementary; it is, as I said, Newtonian mechanics. :tongue2:
Creator :rolleyes:

(edited to add in neg. sign).

Last edited:
I think there is a more fundamental interpretation. This is always tough because I used to be relatively certain of what I know and what I don't, but I haven't studied some of this for so long now...scary... :frown:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I think there is a more fundamental interpretation.

At this point I think I'm going to take pmb's advice. :rofl:

Ivan, your memory is not so bad. Remember the Einstein box? Anyways, it goes like this. Suppose you fire a flash of light with an energy of 13.6ev at a hydrogen atom. This will knock the electron out of orbit and you will be left with a proton and an electron, which collectively have a total mass that is exactly 13.6ev more than a hydrogen atom. This difference is the potential energy residing in the separated particles. If you bring them back together, the reformed hydrogen atom will release this potential energy in another flash of light with an energy of 13.6ev. In the case of gravitational potential energy, the energy used to separate mass m from mass M is stored by both objects. This is, of course, offset by the energy used to move them apart. If you borrow all the energy used from M, its mass will decrease and the mass of m will increase. If you borrow equally from m and M, both will have the same mass after being separated as they did prior to separation. If you steal the energy from say the moon, m and M will both increase in mass while the moon looses mass.

Wheeeewwwwwwww! Thanks Chronos. pmb_phy and Creator scared me for a minute there. :uhh:

...and as pmb_phy pointed, under GR there is [still] no energy in the field. Correct?

I would suggest reading the sci.physics.faq on energy conservation in general relativity located

here

To put it as simply as I can, there is a well defined concept of conservation of energy in general relativity which does however require specific boundary conditions ("asymptotically flat space-times").

However, when a system contains significant gravitational energy, it's usually not possible to localize it in GR. (The exception is a static space-time. Planets orbiting each other aren't static, though.).

Creator said:
At this point I think I'm going to take pmb's advice. :rofl:
I'm still not sure what the question really is so don't give up. It could be that I'm just not understanding your question.

If you're asking if gravitational energy has a mass related to it then yes, that's quite true.

Pete

Ivan Seeking "As m loses kinetic energy to potential energy the mass M increases. This accounts for the energy storage and exchange."
Pete "The proper mass of each body will remain constant."
Creator "In Newtonian orbital mechanics the masses stay constant"
Chronos "...collectively have a total mass that is exactly 13.6ev more than a hydrogen atom. This difference is the potential energy residing in the separated particles"
Pete, "If you're asking if gravitational energy has a mass related to it then yes, that's quite true"

Confusing isn't it?

In Newton and GR the mass of the bodies stays constant. In Newton energy is kept in a separate account, and KE + PE = const.

In SR the two accounts appear to merge E = mc2
But physicists like to keep them separate anyway and have invariant particle masses, so that energy has now to be kept in the field. Even if this means in the case of a bound system such as an atom then that field has to store negative energy.

In GR particle masses are constant but except in certain static fields energy goes all over the place, it is not locally conserved and the value of a particle's energy cannot be transported from one position to another in the presence of curvature unless there is a time-like killing vector, which generally does not exist.

Therefore the great classical separate principles of the conservation of energy and mass were magnificently united by SR only to be discarded by GR, except in some special contrived situations.

Perhaps GR needs to be modified to restore the situation? I won't bore you again with my solution!

Garth

Last edited:
Garth said:
Pete, "If you're asking if gravitational energy has a mass related to it then yes, that's quite true"
If one views a system of two bodies (non-EM radiating massive bodies separated by a distance) as a black box (in the frame of reference of the center of mass of the box), the mass of that box should not change. It should not depend on whether the energies of the bodies inside are potential or kinetic (ie. as gravitational potential becomes kinetic energy as the separation decreases). According to Special Relativity, kinetic energy contributes [itex] KE/c^2[/itex] to the mass of the body. Therefore gravitational potential energy must contibute equally to the mass of the body. Each will contribute to gravitation of the system. So, gravitational potential energy has to comprise part of the mass or inertia of each body.

So it is not a question of a body's mass being converted to kinetic energy or stored as potential energy. Its mass, and therefore its gravitation, is constant. Its mass merely oscillates between rest and relativistic mass (in the frame of reference of the centre of mass of the system).

AM2

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
...Therefore gravitational potential energy must contibute equally to the mass of the body.
Its mass, and therefore its gravitation, is constant...

And what happens when the gravitational potential energy changes because the two bodies freely fall towards each other?

Garth

Garth said:
And what happens when the gravitational potential energy changes because the two bodies freely fall towards each other?
The kinetic energy (= loss of PE) provides relativistic mass in an amount KE/c^2 (for v<<c), and corresponding gravitation.

AM2

Andrew Mason said:
The kinetic energy (= loss of PE) provides relativistic mass in an amount KE/c^2 (for v<<c), and corresponding gravitation.

AM2
Throw a ball vertically. It begins with rest mass m and KE E, at the highest point it has 'rest' mass m' and zero KE. Does m = m' as Pete said "The proper mass of each body will remain constant" or not? If it does, as in GR, what has happened to the KE?

The total energy of the projectile is actually given by
E = - P0U0 ,
so time dilation g00 comes into play. From the frame of reference of the Centre of Mass of the Earth this compensates for the potential energy component. Energy is conserved because U0 is a killing vector as the metric components are time independent in such a static gravitational field.

However, from the point of view of the projectile the field is not static as in that frame of reference the metric components change with time (they change with position, which changes with time for a moving observer) and there is no killing vector. In GR energy is not conserved and cannot even be easily defined.

Alternatively the rest mass of the projectile might be defined to include PE, as I think you are suggesting Andrew, in which case
m = m0exp(Phi) where Phi is the dimensionless Newtonian potential, as 'rest' mass is defined in SCC.

Garth

Last edited:
Garth said:
Throw a ball vertically. It begins with rest mass m and KE E, at the highest point it has 'rest' mass m' and zero KE. Does m = m' as Pete said "The proper mass of each body will remain constant" or not? If it does, as in GR, what has happened to the KE?

The mass of a particle is given by the time component of 4-momentum, i.e. [itex]m = \mu dt/d\tau[/itex] where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the proper mass of the particle. Proper mass is an intrinsic property of a particle and is not changed by speed of position in a gravitational field. However proper mass is different than rest mass. This requires explanation - Take as an example a particular kind of gravitational field for which g0k = 0. This is called a "time-orthogonal" gravitational field. In this case

[tex]m = m(v,\Phi) = \frac{\mu}{\sqrt{1 + 2\Phi/c^2 - \beta}}[/tex]

where [itex]\beta = v/c[/itex]. Rest mass is defined as

[tex]m_0 = m(0,\Phi)[/tex]

The proper mass is related to the mass through

[tex]\mu = m(0,0)[/tex]
The total energy of the projectile is actually given by
E = - P0U0 ,
so time dilation g00 comes into play. From the frame of reference of the Centre of Mass of the Earth this compensates for the potential energy component. Energy is conserved because U0 is a killing vector as the metric components are time independent in such a static gravitational field.
Note: E is not related to the m above through E = mc2.

Pete

Last edited:
pmb_phy said:
Rest mass is defined as

[tex]m_0 = m(0,\Phi)[/tex]

So do you define rest mass as:

[tex]m_0 = m(0,\Phi) = \frac{\mu}{\sqrt{1 + 2\Phi/c^2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Creator said:
So do you define rest mass as:

[tex]m_0 = m(0,\Phi) = \frac{\mu}{\sqrt{1 + 2\Phi/c^2}}[/tex]
That is what I call it, yes. This definition can be found in such texts as The Theory of Relativity, Moller, Oxford Press, page 290 and Basic Relativity, Richard A. Mould, Springer Verlag

In The Meaning of Relativity, Albert Einstein, page 100-102 Einstein simply calls

[tex]m = \frac{\mu}{\sqrt{1 + 2\Phi/c^2}}[/tex]

the inertial mass of the particle.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
That is what I call it, yes. This definition can be found in such texts as ...

Thanks for the response; I tend to agree with your perspective in general (above), which eliminates the confusion that usually arises from the use of terms like 'relativistic mass'.

Hoooowever...using
[tex]m = \frac{\mu}{\sqrt{1 + 2\Phi/c^2}}[/tex] to refer to inertial mass is probably not acceptable, i.e., it implies inertial mass increases when brought closer to a ponderable mass, a fact which was later shown by Carl Brans, and generally accepted (after his publication) to be a mistaken assumption on the part of Einstein.

It seems to me that it would be more appropriate in your definitions to make inertial mass = [tex]\mu = m(0,0)[/tex]

Creator

Last edited:

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is a type of energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

What are the different types of potential energy?

The main types of potential energy are gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy. Gravitational potential energy is associated with the height of an object above the ground, elastic potential energy is stored in stretched or compressed objects, chemical potential energy is stored in the bonds between atoms, and nuclear potential energy is stored in the nucleus of an atom.

How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of potential energy. For gravitational potential energy, the formula is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground. For elastic potential energy, the formula is PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. For chemical potential energy, the formula is PE = nRTln(Q), where n is the number of moles of the substance, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, and Q is the reaction quotient. For nuclear potential energy, the formula is PE = mc^2, where m is the mass of the object and c is the speed of light.

How does potential energy relate to kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are interrelated. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa. For example, when a ball is held above the ground, it has potential energy. As it falls, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. When the ball hits the ground, all of its potential energy has been converted into kinetic energy.

What are some real-life examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy in everyday life include a book sitting on a shelf, a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, water stored in a dam, and a roller coaster at the top of a hill. In each of these cases, the object has the potential to convert its stored energy into another form, such as kinetic energy, when released or acted upon by an external force.