Potential Energy of 2 Masses Connected by a String - Find Theta

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equilibrium point in terms of the angle theta for two beads with masses M1 and M2 connected by a string with length L. To find the potential energy, the distances of the masses from the right angle are needed and can be easily expressed in terms of L and theta. The potential energy can then be found using the formula mgh. The conversation concludes by mentioning that finding the vertical distance using alpha is also easy.
Parallel

Homework Statement

A figure is attached.
A string with length L connects two beads with masses M1,M2.
what is the equilibrium point?(in terms of the angle theta,as in the figure)

The Attempt at a Solution

well I know that I need to find the potential energy as a function of theta,and then find the minimum.

but I don't know how to express the potential energy in terms of theta

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 317
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the distance between m1 and m2 is L. To get started, find the distances of m1 and m2 from the rightangle in terms of L and theta.

well this is easy

for m1 : l*cos(theta)
for m2 : l*sin(theta)

I can't see how this is helping me
(by the way,this is not homework,I'm doing extra problems from the book)

The potential energy of a mass = mgh where h is the vertical distance from some point.

From those lengths, finding the vertical distance of the masses below the right angle (using alpha) is also easy.

can't believe I didnt see it..really easy

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or configuration.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy can be calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What is the relationship between potential energy and mass?

The potential energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass increases, the potential energy also increases.

4. What is the significance of the string in this scenario?

The string acts as a medium through which the potential energy is transferred between the two masses. It allows for the masses to interact with each other and change their positions, thus changing the potential energy.

5. How is theta related to potential energy in this situation?

Theta, or θ, represents the angle between the string and the horizontal plane. It is an important factor in calculating the potential energy of the two masses, as it affects the height of the masses and therefore the potential energy stored in the system.