Potential & Kinetic Energy Calc: x0=3.2m to x1=2.8m | Help Needed

In summary, the conversation was about finding the change in potential and kinetic energy of a particle moving under a conservative force, given the force equation and initial and final positions. The change in potential energy was found to be -277.696 J and the change in kinetic energy was not zero. The solution involved using the integral of the force equation.
Xamfy19
i need help for this problem.

A single conservative force acting on a particle varies as:

F=(-Ax+Bx^2)iN

where A=48N/m and B=93N/m^2 and x is in meters.
Find the change in potential energy as the particle moves from x0=3.2m to x1=2.8m. Answer in units of J.
Find the change in kinetic energy of the particle between the same two points. Answer in units of J.

I tried this problem and I thought it was zero. However, the answer is not zero. I also thought the kinetic energy was -277.696. Can anybody verify this answer? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this:
[tex] \Delta U = -\int_{x_o}^{x_f} F(x)\cdot dx [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks alot

It worked. Thanks.

cool thanks :)

Last edited:

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. In other words, it is the energy that an object has stored within it.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on an object's mass and velocity.

3. How do you calculate potential energy?

Potential energy can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass, acceleration due to gravity, and height. The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is mass, g is acceleration due to gravity, and h is height.

4. How do you calculate kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy can be calculated by multiplying half of an object's mass by its velocity squared. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is mass and v is velocity.

5. How do you calculate the total energy of an object?

The total energy of an object is the sum of its potential and kinetic energy. It can be calculated by adding the potential energy and kinetic energy using the equations mentioned above.