Electric Pot. Zero: Potential Energy Homework

In summary, the question asks for the position on the x axis where the electric potential is zero, given two point charges q1=+7.00 nC and q2=-5.00 nC arranged on the axis with a distance of 25.0 cm between them. The equation kq1/d = -kq2/d is used to solve for the position, where d is the distance from each charge. The first approach uses d as the distance from q2 and the second approach uses d as the distance from q1. To find the position to the right of q2, the distances are simplified to d1=x and d2=x-25.
unhip_crayon

Homework Statement

Two point charges are arranged as shown on the x axis. q1 = +7.00 nC,
and q2 = −5.00 nC. a = 25.0 cm.
Calculate the position on the x axis, outside of the charges, where the
electric potential is zero

|...a...|
O----------O
q1.....q2(ignore the periods)

The Attempt at a Solution

V=V1+V1

kq1/d = -kq2/d

k(7nC)/d = -k(-5nC)/(d-25)

then solve.

I get the correct answer but my question is, why is it d-25 and why is it under q2? My first approach I had.

k(7nC)/(d+25) = -k(-5nC)/d

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what d is. your first approach used d as the distance from q2, and the secontd approach used d as the distance from q1. And in the equation kq1/d = -kq2/d you use both at the same time. This should hae been kq_1/d_1 = -kq_2/d_2

I would have used x for the position of the point with zero potential, the positions of the charges are x_1 = 0, and x_2 = 25
would have d_1 = |x - x_1| and d_2 = |x - x_2| (|x| is the absolute value of x)
if you look for a point to the right of q_2 you can simply have
d_1 = x - x_1 = x
d_2 = x - x_2 = x - 25

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that is stored within an object due to its position in an electric field. It is the energy that a charged object possesses because of its location relative to other charged objects in the same electric field.

2. How is electric potential energy measured?

Electric potential energy is measured in joules (J), which is the standard unit for all forms of energy. It can also be measured in electron volts (eV) or kilowatt-hours (kWh), which are commonly used in physics and engineering.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric potential energy?

The formula for calculating electric potential energy is U = qV, where U is the potential energy in joules (J), q is the charge of the object in coulombs (C), and V is the potential difference in volts (V).

4. How does electric potential energy relate to electric potential?

Electric potential energy is directly related to electric potential. Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. In other words, it is the potential energy that a unit charge would have if placed at that point in the field.

5. What is the difference between electric potential energy and electric potential difference?

Electric potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in an electric field, while electric potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. Electric potential difference is measured in volts (V) and is the change in potential energy per unit charge between two points.