1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i wasnt really sure where to put this question. its kind of a maths question i suppose

the potential energy funtion u along the x-axis is given as

U=-U0x2

the question is really why do i not use the product rule on this equation as it is two variable multiplied together

i am told that the answer is u02x
    but im a bit confused as to why you dont seem to do anythign with the first term apart from multiplied by -1 but still remains there. Is it to be treated as a constant? if so why does it not = 0 when differentiated.

any help would be appreciated =]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I presume the question is to find the force given that potential function. In any case, U0 is a constant. Go ahead and use the product rule if you like; the derivative of a constant is zero.

If y = ax2, what's dy/dx? (a is a constant)

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3
    sorry ye the question to find the force. and y=ax2 will differentiate to 2x but i dont understand in the question the answer has the constant still in it after its be differentiated

:/

5. Nov 5, 2009 #4
    aaahh wait i see if i differentiate it using the product rule i do get that answer..
    i see why now

dy/dx= da/dx.x2+2x.a but because da/dx = 0 it removes the whole of the first term.

makes more sense now
    cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook