1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what is meant by ' an object has one joule of potential energy'?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2
    Have you done anything to try to find this out?

I would suggest you use Google to find the definition of Joule and Potential Energy.

Please note PF guidelines say you need to show some effort before we're allowed to answer.

4. Sep 25, 2010 #3
    i tried to find the answer for this question from many sites at last i tried this site
    it is a theoritical question how can u show an attempt for it?
  5. Sep 25, 2010 #4
    You can start by doing what I said in my previous post.

Google Joule and Potential Energy. From the definitions of those words you should be able to come up with the definition you require.

Post what you come up with here and I will gladly help you 'refine' it if it's not quite right.

It is against the PF guidelines to just give you the answer to a homework question.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  6. Sep 28, 2010 #5
    an object has 1 joule of potential energy means that the object has the capacity to do the work of 1 joule!

may be now i m right
  7. Sep 28, 2010 #6
    Here is the definition of Joule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule): [Broken]
    "It is the energy expended in applying a force of one newton through a distance of one metre (1 newton·metre or N·m)."

Here is the definition of Potential Energy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_energy): [Broken]
    "Potential energy is the energy stored in a body or in a system"

All you did is rearrange the original statement, you need to use the definitions (I recommend reading the wiki pages) to come up with a definition of the original statement.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook