Potential Energy - Finding Balance Points

In summary, the conversation discusses a given force and its potential energy, which has been determined to be conservative. The task is then to find the balance points, which are potential minima. The potential function is suggested to be solved using the gradient.
Jalo

Homework Statement

Consider the force F=(y2z3 − 6xz2)i + 2xyz3j + (3xy2z2 − 6x2z)k.

I've solved the first part of the problem that asked if the force was conservative (it was) and what was the potential energy of the force(U)

U=-y2z3+3x2z2+c , c E ℝ

Find the balance points.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the balance points are gotten trough derivation of U and equalating it to 0. However I don't know what should i use to derivate it with. ∂U/∂x + ∂U/∂y = 0 ? Doesn't help me much... Help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jalo,

I find it a bit unclear what 'balance points' refer to here - my only guess is potential minima, which will have to be in all three dimensions at once (not just x and y like you guessed). Consider the gradient of the potential function and see if that leads you anywhere,

Hope this helps,
Bill Mills

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is also known as stored energy, as it has the potential to do work when that position or configuration is changed.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the reference point. This formula is for objects at rest, but for objects in motion, the formula is PE = 1/2mv^2, where v is the velocity of the object.

3. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some common examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, a ball at the top of a hill, and a raised weight. Chemical energy, such as in batteries or food, is also a form of potential energy.

4. How can potential energy be changed into other forms of energy?

Potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, thermal energy, or electrical energy. This conversion usually happens when the object's position or configuration changes, causing the potential energy to be released and transformed into another form.

5. How does finding balance points relate to potential energy?

Finding balance points involves identifying and understanding the equilibrium position of an object, where the forces acting on it are balanced. This is important in potential energy because the object's equilibrium position is where it has the most potential energy. Understanding balance points can help in determining the stability and potential energy of a system.