Potential energy of an electron

In summary, the expert explains that an electron's potential energy decreases when it moves from a lower to a higher potential. This is because it requires energy to pass through resistance, which heats up the resistor. The expert also clarifies that while an electron may have some kinetic energy, it is negligible due to its small mass and velocity in typical circuits. The expert also addresses the use of the singular versus plural form of "electron" and explains that potential is an attribute of the electric field, not the individual electron. Moving to a higher potential results in a decrease in the electron's potential energy.
gracy
.(1)Electron's potential energy decreases when it moves from lower to higher potential,right?And i also want to verify few more things on which i am doubtful .(2)Why when electron passes through resistance it's potential energy decreases?I think because it require energy to pass or cross resistance as it is hindrance for flow of electron so when electron crosses this it does work i.e uses energy that's why it's energy which was totally in the form of potential energy get reduced,so that's why when electron passes through resistance it's potential energy decreases.right?
(3)But why electron's energy is totally in the form of potential energy,as it was moving through circuit it should have kinetic energy also.Is kinetic energy negligible as mass of electron is very small .I don't think so it is right.And if it has kinetic energy, why after crossing resistance only it's potential energy decreases,why not kinetic energy decreases i.e why not electrons get slow down after crossing resistance?
Although i have put 3 questions together we can discuss one by one.Just guide me where i am wrong.
Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
Electron's potential energy decreases when it moves from lower to higher potential,right?
Depends on what you mean. "Electric potential" - yes. "Potential for the electron" - no.
gracy said:
(2)Why when electron passes through resistance it's potential energy decreases?I think because it require energy to pass or cross resistance as it is hindrance for flow of electron so when electron crosses this it does work i.e uses energy that's why it's energy which was totally in the form of potential energy get reduced,so that's why when electron passes through resistance it's potential energy decreases.right?
Something in that direction, yes. It does not work (=ordered mechanical energy), however, it heats up the resistor.
gracy said:
(3)But why electron's energy is totally in the form of potential energy,as it was moving through circuit it should have kinetic energy also.Is kinetic energy negligible as mass of electron is very small
Kinetic energy is negligible as both [mass per charge] and velocity are very small. The net motion in typical circuits is somewhere in the range of millimeters per second.
gracy said:
why after crossing resistance only it's potential energy decreases,why not kinetic energy decreases
It can be different, that depends on the details of the cables. It does not matter as it is negligible.

Likes gracy
mfb said:
Depends on what you mean. "Electric potential" - yes. "Potential for the electron" - no.
i didn't understand this point.

All you have to do is use "s" after electron, they are plural, electrons. You can't single one out and look at it, they are a collective of potential.

jerromyjon said:
All you have to do is use "s" after electron, they are plural, electrons. You can't single one out and look at it, they are a collective of potential.
oh,you mean i should say electrons move from lower potential to higher potential but yet their potential energy decreases.Right?

gracy said:
oh,you mean i should say electrons move from lower potential to higher potential but yet their potential energy decreases.Right?
The potential is attribute of the electric field. The potential energy of the electron is PE=-eU at a place with potential is U. Moving to t higher potential, the potential energy of the electron gets lower.

ehild said:
The potential is attribute of the electric field. The potential energy of the electron is PE=-eU at a place with potential is U. Moving to t higher potential, the potential energy of the electron gets lower.
Thanks.Now it's clear.

1. What is potential energy of an electron?

Potential energy of an electron is the energy that an electron possesses due to its position in an electric field or due to its interaction with other particles.

2. How is potential energy of an electron measured?

Potential energy of an electron is measured in units of electron volts (eV) or joules (J).

3. What is the relationship between potential energy and electron's position?

The potential energy of an electron is directly proportional to its distance from the center of an electric field. As the distance increases, the potential energy also increases.

4. Can potential energy of an electron be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy of an electron can be converted into kinetic energy when the electron moves through an electric field. It can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as light or heat, when the electron interacts with other particles.

5. Why is potential energy of an electron important in chemistry and physics?

Potential energy of an electron plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules. It helps us understand how atoms bond with each other and how chemical reactions occur. In physics, it is important in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles and how they interact with each other.