Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Potential flow around an airfoil

1. Jul 28, 2004 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I invoke those aero-brains flying around here in order to help me in these questions:

I want to simulate numerically using Matlab the potential flow around an airfoil. The first question is if anyone of you knows if is it possible a steady solution of such potential flow (subsonic and laminar) over an airfoil. To be honest, potential theory is not my best, surprisingly I have not learnt it in my university. But I want to simulate an elliptic problem such this, in part because I think it might be easier, and I don't hope to start writing a computer program that has no steady solution.

Another question is the elliptic grid generation. I have seen it is neccessary to solve a partial differential system of elliptic equations in order to generate it. So I will need some type of normalized airfoil shape. I have read that NASA has some series of such profiles. Those who are aero-heads surely know where can I found this shapes (that allow me to strum the coordinate transformations) in the web.

Any help will be wellcomed with a cool Duff beer sent by e-mail. :rolleyes:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2004 #2
    read fundamentals of aerodynamics by anderson chapter3 & 4. you need to write a vortex panel code. damn easy
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?