Potential from Center of Disk

The conversation is about finding an equation for the electric potential on the axis of a uniformly charged disk and using Gauss' law to find the electric field. The equation for the potential is V=-(integral)E(dot)dl, with limits depending on the direction of the potential difference. The symmetry of the problem may not allow for Gauss' law to be used, so the electric field can be calculated using Cartesian or cylindrical coordinates. The del operator can then be used to find the potential. In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation for the electric potential and using Gauss' law and coordinates to calculate the electric field and potential.
fizzixmaff

Homework Statement

The potential on the axis of a uniformly charged disk at 4.7 from the disk center is 150 ; the potential 15 from the disk center is 100 .

Homework Equations

I have no idea what the equations are, I read my textbook looking for equations and I've been searching online. I don't have any notes from class because he hasn't covered this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't need the solution, just an equation would be beautiful! Thank you in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this equation will work:
(s/2e)(sqrt(z^2+R^2)-z)
where s is surface charge density,e is epsilon,R is the radius of the disk and finally z is the distance along the central axis.

I'm assuming that you're talking about electric potential here, right?
V=-(integral)E(dot)dl
dl is a little portion of the path from point A to point B, so in this case can be re-termed dr. The potential difference (V) from point B to point A is -50, or from A to B is 50. The minus sign from the dot product is already there, so you can ignore that. The limits of your integral depend on what potential difference you're using. If V is from A to B then the limits are from B to A and vice versa. I would use Gauss' law to find E.
Let me know if this helps.

The symmetry of your problem is not sufficient to use guass law(Give it a try,The equations will be quite formidable).You can calculate the electrical field either by using cartesian or cylindrical coordinates.Once you get to it you can use del operator to get the potential.

Last edited:
That is true... I guess I misunderstood the description of the problem. Reading the question again, I realize that there isn't a question in the question...
What exactly are we trying to do other than give an equation for potential?

What is the "Potential from Center of Disk"?

The "Potential from Center of Disk" refers to the electric potential at any point around a charged disk, measured from its center. It is a measure of the work required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to that point while keeping it at rest.

How is the potential determined at a point from the center of a disk?

The potential at a point from the center of a disk is determined by the distance from the center of the disk, the magnitude of the charge on the disk, and the electric constant. It can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the electric constant, Q is the charge on the disk, and r is the distance from the center of the disk.

What factors affect the potential from the center of a disk?

The potential from the center of a disk is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the disk, the distance from the center of the disk, and the electric constant. It is also affected by any other nearby charges or conductors, which can alter the electric field and thus the potential at a particular point.

What is the difference between potential from the center of a disk and potential from a point charge?

The potential from the center of a disk is calculated using the distance from the center of the disk, whereas potential from a point charge is calculated using the distance from the point charge. Additionally, the electric field from a disk is not constant, unlike that of a point charge, which can affect the potential at different points around the disk.

How does the potential change as you move farther away from the center of the disk?

The potential decreases as you move farther away from the center of the disk, following an inverse relationship with the distance. This means that the potential will decrease at a faster rate as you move away from the center. This is due to the decrease in electric field strength as you move away from the charged disk.