Potential function of conservative vector field

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the potential function for a conservative vector field. The process involves breaking the function into two parts and finding the individual integrals, and then setting them equal to each other to find the potential function. The conversation also mentions the importance of checking if the field is conservative and how that affects the process.
600burger
Hey ya'll,

How do I find the potential function of this conservative vector field (It is conservative isn't it?? I did check, but i might've messed that up too!).

[itex] \int (2x-3y-1)dx - (3x+y-5)dy [/itex]

I know to break the function:

[itex] F(x,y)= (2x-3y-1)i - (3x+y-5)j [/itex]

apart and integrate each part WRT x or y like:

[itex] f(x,y)= \int (2x-3y-1)dx [/itex]

[itex] f(x,y)= \int (3x+y-5)dy [/itex]

To get:

[itex] x^2-3xy-x+g(y)+K[/itex]

and

[itex] -3xy + y^2/2 - 5y +h(x) + K[/itex]

Respectivlly. K being the constant of integration, but then i don't know how to combine/cancle/manipulate thoes to get one function...

I thought (and my book seems to show) that you have to find what g(y) and h(x) are but I don't know how to do that, and even if I did I would again be stuck and put them together.

Thanks,
-Burg

Physics news on Phys.org
First notice that

[tex]\frac {\partial F_x}{\partial y} - \frac {\partial F_y}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

which establishes that the field is conservative.

Therefore, [itex]\vec F(x, y) = - \nabla \Phi[/itex] and you can determine the potential by finding [itex]\Phi[/itex] such that

[tex]\frac {\partial \Phi}{\partial x} = -F_x[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac {\partial \Phi}{\partial y} = -F_y[/itex]

which is what you have done. To find g and f simply set your two expressions equal to each other and choose g and f to make the statement true. E.g. h(x) must be

[tex]h(x) = 3x^2 - x[/tex]

You are looking for a function F(x,y) such that Fx= 2x-3y-1 and Fy= -(3x+ y- 5)= -3x- y+ 5.

Since Fx= 2x- 3y- 1 you must have F= x2- 3xy- x+ g(y).
(NOTICE: since this is partial differentiation, the "constant" of integration may be a function of y!)

Differentiating that with respect to y, Fy= -3x+ g'(y) and that must be equal to -3x- y+ 5. That is: -3x+ g'= -3x- y+ 5. Notice that the "-3x" terms cancel! That has to happen since g(y) is a function of y only so g'(y) must depend on y only- if the field had NOT been conservative, if Tide's
[tex]\frac {\partial F_x}{\partial y} - \frac {\partial F_y}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]
check had not worked, that wouldn't happen. Since this is "conservative" (that's really a physics term. Mathematically, we would say that this is an "exact differential".) we have g'(y)= -y+ 5. Integrate that to find g(y) and substitute back into F= x2- 3xy- x+ g(y).

Thanks guys,

Very helpful, I'll have to read these a few times trough to get it down but you guys acctually explain it much better than my texts.

Thanks again,
-Burg

1. What is a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of a vector quantity, such as force or velocity, as it changes over a certain region of space. A conservative vector field is one in which the change in the vector quantity is independent of the path taken.

2. What is the significance of a conservative vector field?

The significance of a conservative vector field lies in the fact that it obeys the principle of conservation of energy. This means that the work done by the vector field on a particle moving through it is independent of the path taken by the particle. This allows for more efficient and accurate calculations in various physical systems.

3. How is a conservative vector field represented mathematically?

A conservative vector field is represented by a vector function with two or three components, depending on the dimension of the space it is acting in. In two dimensions, the function is typically denoted as F(x,y) = P(x,y)i + Q(x,y)j, where i and j are unit vectors in the x and y directions, and P and Q are scalar functions that describe the components of the vector field.

4. What is the relationship between a conservative vector field and its potential function?

A conservative vector field is related to its potential function through the gradient operation. The potential function is the scalar function whose gradient is equal to the vector field. This means that the gradient of the potential function will give the components of the conservative vector field at any point in space.

5. How is the potential function of a conservative vector field useful in practical applications?

The potential function of a conservative vector field is useful in practical applications as it allows for the calculation of work done by the vector field without needing to know the specific path taken. This is particularly useful in fields such as electromagnetics and fluid mechanics, where the calculation of work is crucial in understanding the behavior of physical systems.