Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential function of conservative vector field

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    Hey ya'll,

How do I find the potential function of this conservative vector field (It is conservative isn't it?? I did check, but i might've messed that up too!).

[itex] \int (2x-3y-1)dx - (3x+y-5)dy [/itex]

I know to break the function:

[itex] F(x,y)= (2x-3y-1)i - (3x+y-5)j [/itex]

apart and integrate each part WRT x or y like:

[itex] f(x,y)= \int (2x-3y-1)dx [/itex]

[itex] f(x,y)= \int (3x+y-5)dy [/itex]

To get:

[itex] x^2-3xy-x+g(y)+K[/itex]

[itex] -3xy + y^2/2 - 5y +h(x) + K[/itex]

Respectivlly. K being the constant of integration, but then i don't know how to combine/cancle/manipulate thoes to get one function....

I thought (and my book seems to show) that you have to find what g(y) and h(x) are but I don't know how to do that, and even if I did I would again be stuck and put them together.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First notice that

[tex]\frac {\partial F_x}{\partial y} - \frac {\partial F_y}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

which establishes that the field is conservative.

Therefore, [itex]\vec F(x, y) = - \nabla \Phi[/itex] and you can determine the potential by finding [itex]\Phi[/itex] such that

[tex]\frac {\partial \Phi}{\partial x} = -F_x[/tex]

[tex]\frac {\partial \Phi}{\partial y} = -F_y[/itex]

which is what you have done. To find g and f simply set your two expressions equal to each other and choose g and f to make the statement true. E.g. h(x) must be

[tex]h(x) = 3x^2 - x[/tex]
  4. Dec 6, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are looking for a function F(x,y) such that Fx= 2x-3y-1 and Fy= -(3x+ y- 5)= -3x- y+ 5.

Since Fx= 2x- 3y- 1 you must have F= x2- 3xy- x+ g(y).
    (NOTICE: since this is partial differentiation, the "constant" of integration may be a function of y!)

Differentiating that with respect to y, Fy= -3x+ g'(y) and that must be equal to -3x- y+ 5. That is: -3x+ g'= -3x- y+ 5. Notice that the "-3x" terms cancel! That has to happen since g(y) is a function of y only so g'(y) must depend on y only- if the field had NOT been conservative, if Tide's
    [tex]\frac {\partial F_x}{\partial y} - \frac {\partial F_y}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]
    check had not worked, that wouldn't happen. Since this is "conservative" (that's really a physics term. Mathematically, we would say that this is an "exact differential".) we have g'(y)= -y+ 5. Integrate that to find g(y) and substitute back into F= x2- 3xy- x+ g(y).
  5. Dec 6, 2004 #4
    Thanks guys,

Very helpful, I'll have to read these a few times trough to get it down but you guys acctually explain it much better than my texts.

Thanks again,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?