1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Potential function, V

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether or not V = xy is the correct potential function for the geometry shown in the figure: http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/446/48401266.jpg [Broken] for the region 0 < x< 1 and 0 < y < 1. Why or why not? Assume that the region between the conducting plates has a relative permittivity of εr = 3.0.

Image for problem shown at this URL: http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/446/48401266.jpg [Broken]
    2. Relevant equations
    There are multiple equations for the potential function V. I do not know which one to use/how to use it.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Don't really know to get started on this one. I would appreciate any help that you can provide. I just need to know how to get started. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2
    You're testing whether or not the trial function obeys laplace's equation with the correct boundary conditions.

4. Mar 31, 2010 #3
    Ah, that makes sense Mindscape. Thank you. Ok, so I have determined that del^2(V) does in fact equal 0. What does this tell me? Is it the correct potential function? By the uniqueness principle, can I conclude that V=xy is the only potential function for this design, given the boundary conditions?

5. Apr 1, 2010 #4
    You also need to check the boundary conditions for V(x,y):

V(0,y)=0
    V(x,0)=0
    V(1,y)=1
    V(x,1)=1

6. Apr 1, 2010 #5
    I thought there were 2 criteria though for determining whether or not a given potential function is the solution the DiffEQ. I have already determined that the Laplacian holds true, what is the other?

7. Apr 1, 2010 #6
    Well, if you're going to guess a solution, you'd better make sure that it satisfies the PDE to start with, and secondly that it satisfies the actual physical conditions when all is said and done.

V(x,y)=5x+7y

is that a solution? Why or why not?

Do you know how to find the solution from scratch if you had to? Maybe that would help you understand a little better.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook