Solving F(r) and Finding Potential Function in r

In summary, the question is asking if the potential function V is found by integrating grad V for each unit vector i and j. Another thing to note is that the field is conservative and the answer is found by finding a scalar function.
ElDavidas
I'm going over an exam question and it reads as follows:

"Determine if the force F(r) is conservative (justify your answer) and, if it is, find a potential function in the case

[tex] F(r) = \frac {1} {||r||} (-xi + yj) [/tex]

where r = xi + yj"

I know that F = -grad V where V is the potential function. In order to find the potential function V from the above, do you integrate grad V for each unit vector i and j?

Another thing is, I'm not very sure how to manipulate the r. Would you use the quotient rule in order to find [tex] \frac {dV} {dydx} [/tex] as an example?

If somebody managed to answer the question and display their answer showing how they did it, that would be fantastic! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
||r|| is, of course [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex] or (x2+ y2)1/2.

F(x,y)= -x(x2+ y2)-1/2i+ y(x2+ y2)-1/2j

If we write that as f(x,y)i+ g(x,y)j then [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= (-x)(-\frac{1}{2})(x^2+ y^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}(2y)= xy(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{-3}{2}}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= (-x)(-\frac{1}{2})(x^2+ y^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}(2y)= xy(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{-3}{2}}[/itex].

So is this the potential function of V?

This looks like a fairly well fudged problem. :biggrin:

If the field is conservative then it is the gradient of a scalar function. If you were to 'show' that it is conservative by finding such a scalar function then aren't you assuming that the field is conservative in the first place? It's probably better to show that curl F = 0 (I haven't done the computation for this particular field).

As for finding the scalar function (assuming that the field if converative) I would start by writing the field as:

[tex]
\mathop F\limits^ \to = - \frac{x}{{\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } }}\mathop i\limits^ \to + \frac{y}{{\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } }}\mathop j\limits^ \to
[/tex]

[tex]
\nabla \phi \left( {x,y} \right) = \mathop F\limits^ \to
[/tex]

To determine phi, there are various procedures. Here is the one I use.

[tex]
\phi \left( {x,y} \right) = \int {\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial x}}} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\left( { - \frac{x}{{\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } }}} \right)} dx
[/tex] by definition since [tex]\nabla \phi \left( {x,y} \right) = \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial x}}\mathop i\limits^ \to + \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial y}}\mathop j\limits^ \to = \mathop F\limits^ \to [/tex]

[tex]
= - \sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } + A\left( y \right) + c
[/tex]

Now differentiate the above expression for phi with respect to y and you'll get some expression. But the expression you get is also equal to something else, it should be easy to deduce just what I'm referring to. Consider the components of F and the relation between phi and F, I highlighted it earlier in my post.

On second thought, I'm not so sure that grad(anything) = F. You could try to compute to curl to check if I'm wrong (I wouldn't be suprised it's 12:55 in the morning over here :zzz: ). But just from looking at the equation for F, it seems to lack some kind of necessary 'symmetry'. Nevermind, it's just me. Probably best to wait for some other responses. I hope that was of some help.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of solving F(r) and finding a potential function in r?

Solving F(r) and finding a potential function in r allows us to understand the behavior and properties of a physical system in terms of its position, or "r". It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in a variety of fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. How do you solve F(r)?

To solve F(r), we use mathematical techniques such as differentiation and integration to manipulate equations and determine the relationship between a physical quantity and its position. This allows us to find the force acting on an object at any given position.

3. What is a potential function in r?

A potential function in r is a mathematical function that relates the potential energy of a system to its position, or "r". It is often denoted as V(r) and is useful in determining the forces acting on a system and predicting its behavior.

4. How is solving F(r) and finding a potential function in r related to conservation laws?

Solving F(r) and finding a potential function in r is related to conservation laws, such as the conservation of energy and momentum. These laws state that energy and momentum cannot be created or destroyed, but rather they are transferred between different forms. By understanding the forces and potential energy of a system, we can predict and analyze the changes in energy and momentum within the system.

5. Can solving F(r) and finding a potential function in r be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, solving F(r) and finding a potential function in r is applicable to many real-world problems in various fields of science and engineering. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems such as objects in motion, electrical circuits, and atomic particles. It is an essential tool in understanding and solving complex real-world problems.