1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Function

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that ln(x^2+y^2) is a potential function for the following vector field

[itex] \displaystyle \frac{2x \vec i}{(x^2+y^2)^{1/2}} +\frac{2y \vec j}{(x^2+y^2)^{1/2}}[/itex]

I calculate [itex]\nabla \phi [/itex] as

[itex] \displaystyle \frac{2y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^{3/2}} \vec i +\frac{2x^2}{(x^2+y^2)^{3/2}} \vec j[/itex]

I dont know how this connects to the log function...?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It doesn't because you have calculated it incorrectly. ##\nabla f = \langle f_x, f_y\rangle##. Is that what you did?

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3
    I just took the gradient

[itex] \displaystyle \nabla \phi =\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{2x \vec i}{\sqrt {x^2+y^2}}+\frac{\partial}{\partial y} \frac{2y \vec j}{\sqrt{ x^2+y^2}}[/itex]..?

5. Jan 13, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You were supposed to show that ##\phi(x,y) = \ln{(x^2+y^2)}## is a potential function for your vector field. ##\phi## is what you should be taking the gradient of.

6. Jan 13, 2012 #5
    To find the potential function, set [tex] f_{x}=\frac{2x \vec i}{(x^2+y^2)^{1/2}}[/tex]Then take the integral w.r.t. x. which then rewrite f(x,y)=...+g(y). Then take the derivative of this w.r.t. y and equate it to the second one. Then f(x,y), the potential function satisfies the vector field.

7. Jan 14, 2012 #6
    Thanks, noted.

Then I calculate this, I dont know where the sqrt comes into it unless its a typo in the question?

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{2y}{x^2+y^2} \vec j +\frac{2x}{x^2+y^2} \vec i[/itex]

8. Jan 14, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is what I get also.

It looks like the correct potential for that vector field is [itex]\displaystyle \phi(x,\ y)=-2\sqrt{x^2+y^2}+C[/itex]

9. Jan 14, 2012 #8
    V. good.

Thank you SammyS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook