1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential in capacitance network

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A capacitance matrix represents the charge coupling within a group of conductors — that is, the relationship between charges and voltages for the conductors. Given the three conductors shown in the following link, with the outside boundary taken as a reference,

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af335/hectoryx/capacitancenetwork.jpg

2. Relevant equations

the net charge on each object will be:

[tex]$\begin{array}{l}
    {Q_1} = {C_{10}}{V_1} + {C_{12}}({V_1} - {V_2}) + {C_{13}}({V_1} - {V_3}) \\
    {Q_2} = {C_{20}}{V_2} + {C_{12}}({V_2} - {V_1}) + {C_{23}}({V_2} - {V_3}) \\
    {Q_3} = {C_{30}}{V_3} + {C_{13}}({V_3} - {V_1}) + {C_{23}}({V_3} - {V_2}) \\
    \end{array}$
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is, if all of the capacitances are already known, and [tex] {V_1} - {V_2} = U [/tex] is also known, but [tex]{V_1}[/tex] and [tex]{V_2}[/tex] is not known.

then how to calculate [tex]{V_3} [/tex] or [tex]{Q_3}[/tex]?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Hector

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

I don't believe that it is possible. You have six unknowns, but only four equations. Do you know any other values besides just V1-V2? Two more independent values should do it.

4. Sep 25, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

However, in the equivalent circuit of the capacitor network, the voltage of conductor 3 to the reference ground can be caculated.......so...

5. Sep 25, 2009 #4

turin

Homework Helper

Are you suggesting that this is possible if you only know V1-V2? I don't believe so. If you simply mean that, yes, there is this additional input information, then the solution is trivial: V3=V3, right? I must not be understanding your problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook