Potential is a scaler quantity

• Thread starter Ezio3.1415
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the nature of potential and potential difference. It is clarified that while potential is a scalar quantity, there is debate over whether potential difference is also a scalar or a vector quantity. The use of the terms "voltage potential" and "vector potential" is mentioned, and it is noted that potential energy is always a scalar. The conversation ends with a question about the possible confusion between electric field and potential difference.
Ezio3.1415
A few days I was confused when my teacher told me that potential is a scaler quantity but potential difference is a vector quantity... I thought both were scaler quantity... He couldn't convince me... I asked him how the ratio of two scalers can be vector? He couldn't give that answer... However, I saw that in the net there are many people having different opinion... Now the question is what is right?
Please explain how it can be vector? And if its scaler then why there's any debate about it being vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
In every definition I've ever seen, it is a scalar.

You can challenge your teacher by asking him/her: "So, what is the cross and dot product of voltage difference?? :)))"

Maybe what he's (mis)remembering is that the gradient of the potential is a vector.

Perhaps he's confusing electric field with potential difference?

Perhaps he's remembering how in AC circuits it can be helpful to treat voltages as if they were vectors (eg they have phase angles)?

There is no component of direction in potential difference.

The OP didn't specify voltage potential, or indeed any particular potential.
So the original context is unclear.
There is such a thing as vector potential.

Potential as in potential energy is a scalar (as is all energy).

I think its really scaler then... :)

What is potential?

Potential is a scalar quantity that describes the stored energy of a system. It is a measure of the ability of a system to do work.

How is potential different from kinetic energy?

While potential energy is the energy stored in a system, kinetic energy is the energy of motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include gravitational potential energy (e.g. a ball on top of a hill), elastic potential energy (e.g. a stretched spring), and chemical potential energy (e.g. a battery).

How is potential measured?

Potential is measured in joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). It can also be measured in other units such as calories (cal) or electron volts (eV).

Why is potential considered a scalar quantity?

A scalar quantity is a physical quantity that has magnitude but no direction. Potential only has a numerical value and does not have a specific direction associated with it, hence it is considered a scalar quantity.