Potential/Kinetic Energy Problem

• Thread starter jacksonjw81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation revolved around two problems: finding the velocity of a sports car and a pickup truck coasting down a hill, and determining the muzzle speed of a bullet using a ballistic pendulum. The first problem involved using conservation of energy to solve for the velocity, while the second problem required the use of conservation of momentum. The solution for the first problem was found to be 14 m/s, while the second problem yielded a velocity of 810.321 m/s.
jacksonjw81
[SOLVED] Potential/Kinetic Energy Problem need help ASAP

A small sports car and a pickup truck start coasting down a 10.0 m hill together, side by side. Assuming no friction, what is the velocity of each vehicle at the bottom of the hill? Submit answer in m/s; sports car, then truck.

I don't know how to figure this one out, I know it deals with conservation of energy but I don't know how to calculate it when all I have been given is one variable.

Working at a firing range you are tasked to determine the muzzle speed of a bullet as it exits an experimental rifle.
You set up a ballistic pendulum in order to conduct your experiment. The pendulum is made of a block of wood suspended from a set of strings. You fire the bullet into the stationary block and measure the speed of the combined bullet and block since the bullet lodges inside the block. You measure the mass of the bullet to be 4.20 g, the mass of the block to be 500. g, and the speed of the combined bullet and block to be 6.75 m/s. Calculate the speed of the bullet (muzzle speed) and give your answer in m/s.

I am completely lost on this one. I am taking an online class and my instructor is taking forever answering a couple of questions I have about these problems. I just need some help with getting pointed into the right direction.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump...I need help

I feel like I'm fishing.

You should.

For the first problem, do you feel like giving some more information, like hill's base or angle?

Crazy Tosser said:
You should.

For the first problem, do you feel like giving some more information, like hill's base or angle?

That is all that is given. I even asked my instructor how can I solve for a problem when all I know is one variable. He went on to say basically PE=x at the top of the hill and KE=0 therefore solve for PE and you will find your answer. But I still don't know how I am to solve it, with only one variable maybe if I had the mass of the vehicles.

I found the answer.

assume energy conserved.
potential energy = kinectic energy
mgh = 0.5mv^2
gh = 0.5v^2
(9.81)(10) = 0.5v^2
v=14m/s

The problem is I asked him the speed of a falling object free falling is 9.81 m/s but these are not free falling so I didn't know where I could get a second variable from. He could have told me yes use 9.81 m/s.

For the second one.
The Conservation of Momentum.
M1= mass of bullet
V1=velocity of bullet
M2=mass of block
V2=velocity of block
Vf=final velocity of the system
M1V1+M2V2=Vf(M1+M2)
converted grams to kg
(.0042)(V1)+(.5)(0)=6.75(.0042+.5)
(V1).(0042)=3.4033
V1=810.321 m/s

Glad you got it =D

my mental support helped!

All you needed to realize is that at the bottom of the hill all potential energy became kinetic energy

Last edited:

1. What is potential energy and how is it different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or condition. It is different from kinetic energy, which is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy is stored and can be converted into kinetic energy when the object moves.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and its height above the ground (PE = mgh). Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

3. What factors affect an object's potential energy?

An object's potential energy is affected by its mass, height, and the strength of the force acting on it. The type of potential energy (gravitational, elastic, chemical, etc.) also depends on the type of force acting on the object.

4. How does potential energy relate to kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are interconnected. When an object has potential energy, it has the potential to do work and can be converted into kinetic energy when it moves. The total energy of an object is the sum of its potential energy and kinetic energy.

5. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This can occur when the reference point for measuring potential energy is below the object's current position. For example, a ball that is dropped from a height above the ground will have a negative potential energy at the ground level since its reference point is below the ground.