What is the Potential of a Charged Disk?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding the potential of a disk with a surface charge density. The person has attached a PDF with the problem and their attempts at solving it. They are seeking help from others in finding the correct solution. One possible starting point for solving the problem is to take an infinitesimal charge on the surface of the disk and integrate it for all surface elements. Another approach is to use legendre polynomials and set the polar angle to zero.
Black Armadillo
I've attached a .pdf with the problem explanation, questions, and answers. I can't figure out for the life of me how to get these answers though. I've setup a countless number of integrals and can't seem to get it right. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

*EDIT*
Not sure if you guys can see the .pdf I posted since its saying its still pending approval. So you can view it here: http://evergreenwebdesigns.com/playground/HW/Problem.pdf

Attachments

• Problem.pdf
    260.5 KB · Views: 322
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show one of your attempts at the problem. This provides a starting point for help.

Chrisk, I've attached my attempt at this problem. Hope you don't mind the .pdfs it's easier for me to type the equations in word rather than on the physics forums. Thanks for your any help you can give.

Attachments

• Attempt at problem.pdf
    206.4 KB · Views: 322
Thank you for posting the attempt at the solution. Check your expression for dq. You are on the right path of taking a ratio.

I checked the pdf but can't see any attempts for solution.

It does not contains a complicated physics , a little bit mathematics.

I can give a starting point;

*Take a ifinitesmall charge on surface of the disk [tex] dq= \lambda ds [/tex]

[tex]\lambda[/tex]: surface charge density
[tex]ds[/tex]: surface element (in cylindrical coordinates)

**Find the potential of that infinitesmall charge at point z.
***Than integrate it for all surface.

You need to assign a surface charge density, then divide the disk into infinitesimal elements. Because of azimuthal symmetry, you can divide the disk into infinitesimal rings. The potential contribution from each ring should be evaluated, then integrated over the radius of the disk.

You could also use solve the problem at an arbitrary point using legendre polynomials, then set the polar angle equal to zero.

What is the potential of a charged disk?

The potential of a charged disk is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit charge at a point in space surrounding the disk. It is expressed in volts (V) and is a function of the distance from the disk's center, the magnitude of the charge on the disk, and the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium.

How is the potential of a charged disk calculated?

The potential of a charged disk can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge on the disk, and r is the distance from the disk's center.

What factors affect the potential of a charged disk?

The potential of a charged disk is affected by three main factors: the distance from the disk's center, the magnitude of the charge on the disk, and the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium. The potential decreases as the distance from the center increases, increases with the magnitude of the charge, and is also affected by the medium's ability to store electric charge.

Can the potential of a charged disk be negative?

Yes, the potential of a charged disk can be negative. This can occur when the disk has a net negative charge, or when the distance from the disk's center is greater than the radius of the disk. In both cases, the potential is negative because the electric potential energy is decreasing as the distance increases.

What is the relationship between the potential of a charged disk and its electric field?

The potential of a charged disk is directly related to its electric field. The electric field is the negative gradient of the potential, meaning that the electric field is strongest where the potential changes most rapidly. Additionally, the direction of the electric field is always perpendicular to the equipotential lines (lines of constant potential) surrounding the disk.