1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of a charged plate

1. Mar 1, 2005 #1
    Quote:
    “We can see from our definition that the positive plate in Fig. 23-1 is at a higher potential than the negative plate........."

I saw this statement in a book. May I know how to calculate the potential of a charged plate?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2
    As always, the voltage between A and B is defined as a path integral of the electric field starting at point A and ending at point B. Of course, since the voltage is path independent you may integrate E over a straight line without loss of generality.

4. Mar 1, 2005 #3
    Use Gauss's Law to determin the electric field. Then integrate this electric field over the distance between the two plates; This is not that difficult since the E-field is constant; i AM ASSUMING TWO PLATES HERE

5. Mar 1, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could you present us with that "Fig. 23-1".It's kinda difficult to speculate,when we lack the data ...:tongue2:

Daniel.

P.S.Well,at least for me it is...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?