Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of a charged plate

1. Mar 1, 2005 #1
    “We can see from our definition that the positive plate in Fig. 23-1 is at a higher potential than the negative plate........."

I saw this statement in a book. May I know how to calculate the potential of a charged plate?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2
    As always, the voltage between A and B is defined as a path integral of the electric field starting at point A and ending at point B. Of course, since the voltage is path independent you may integrate E over a straight line without loss of generality.
  4. Mar 1, 2005 #3
    Use Gauss's Law to determin the electric field. Then integrate this electric field over the distance between the two plates; This is not that difficult since the E-field is constant; i AM ASSUMING TWO PLATES HERE
  5. Mar 1, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could you present us with that "Fig. 23-1".It's kinda difficult to speculate,when we lack the data ...:tongue2:

P.S.Well,at least for me it is...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?