Understanding the Assumption of Cosine in Dipole Potential Calculation

In summary, the potential at any point P due to a dipole can be calculated by summing the potentials of the two charges in the dipole. To get an equation, we make two assumptions: 1) the distance from the dipole to P is much larger than the dipole distance, and 2) the difference between the distances of the dipole charges to P equals the dipole distance multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them. To understand this better, it is helpful to draw a diagram and use a right triangle to derive the equation.
MCATPhys
I know that the potential at any point P is the sum of the two potentials of a dipole. But we make two assumptions to get an equation:

1 - the distance from the dipole to P is very large relative to the dipole distance (d)
2 - we also make the assumption that r2 - r1 = dcosθ

r2 and r1 is the distance from the dipole charges to P - how do we get cosine?

I don't understand the second assumption. Any help will be nice

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to explain to us what r2 and r1 is in this context. I don't have a picture in front of me so I have no idea where those vectors are pointing to.

MCATPhys said:
2 - we also make the assumption that r2 - r1 = dcosθ

r2 and r1 is the distance from the dipole charges to P - how do we get cosine?
1. Draw the picture - label r1, r2 and θ.

2. See if you can't find a right triangle in there which you can use ... preferably one which has a side equal to r1-r2. Make any approximations that work in the limit that r1 >> d.

3. Use this triangle to derive the above relation.

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a pair of electric charges of equal magnitude but opposite signs, separated by a small distance. This creates an electric dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength and direction of the dipole.

2. How is the potential of a dipole at a point P calculated?

The potential of a dipole at a point P is calculated using the formula V = (k * p * cosθ) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, p is the electric dipole moment, θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the line connecting the dipole to the point P, and r is the distance between the dipole and the point P.

3. What is the significance of the potential of a dipole at a point P?

The potential of a dipole at a point P represents the amount of work that would be required to bring a unit positive charge from infinity to that point P in the presence of the dipole. It is also a measure of the strength of the electric field at point P.

4. How does the potential of a dipole at a point P change as the distance between the dipole and the point P changes?

The potential of a dipole at a point P is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the dipole and the point P. This means that as the distance increases, the potential decreases and vice versa.

5. Can the potential of a dipole at a point P be negative?

Yes, the potential of a dipole at a point P can be negative. This occurs when the point P is located on the opposite side of the dipole from the positive charge, causing the potential to be negative due to the direction of the electric field.