1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of a Finite Rod -Mastering physics

1. Feb 11, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    Im having a little problem doing a question in mastering physics, I was wondering if anyone can help.

here is the problem:
    A finite rod of length L has total charge q, distributed uniformly along its length. The rod lies on the x -axis and is centered at the origin. Thus one endpoint is located at (-L/2,0), and the other is located at (L/2,0). Define the electric potential to be zero at an infinite distance away from the rod. Throughout this problem, you may use the constant k in place of the expression 1/4*pi*epsilon_0.

What is Va, the electric potential at point A (see the figure), located a distance d above the midpoint of the rod on the y axis?
    Express your answer in terms of k, q, d, and L.

Here is what I have so far:

r =sqrt(d^2+x^2)
    dV= k*(q/(2*(L/2)))*(dx/(sqrt(d^2+x^2)))
    V=K*(q/2*(L/2)))*(ln*((sqrt(d^2+x^2)+a)/(sqrt(d^2+x^2)-a)) *I got this from book*

my problem is putting it all together, using k,q , d and L. especially the (ln*((sqrt(d^2+x^2)+a)/(sqrt(d^2+x^2)-a)) part, which does not want x in the answer. Im really lost.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Are you sure you copied that formula for V correctly? It's not V, it's the antiderivative of dV/dx, and to get V you must evaluate it at the endpoints. In other words, after doing the indefinite integral of dV/dx with respect to x, you get what the book gives as V. But V is actually the definite integral over the portion of x where there is charge (-L/2, L/2). Also, where did 'a' come from?

Edit: actually, that isn't the antiderivative of dv/dx. I don't know what that is.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  4. Feb 12, 2005 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The expression for dV looks correct.

[tex]V=\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}dV=\frac{kq}{L}\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2+d^2}}[/tex]

Just evaluate it and put in the right limits (not 'a' or 'x').

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?