1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of Concentric Cylindrical Insulator

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An infinitely long solid insulating cylinder of radius a = 3.6 cm is positioned with its symmetry axis along the z-axis as shown. The cylinder is uniformly charged with a charge density ρ = 25.0 μC/m3. Concentric with the cylinder is a cylindrical conducting shell of inner radius b = 19.5 cm, and outer radius c = 23.5 cm. The conducting shell has a linear charge density λ = -0.41μC/m.

What is V(P) – V(R), the potential difference between points P and R? Point P is located at (x,y) = (41.0 cm, 41.0 cm).

https://www.smartphysics.com/Content/Media/Images/EM/06/h6_cylinder.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

V(r) = ∫Edr
    [itex]\Phi[/itex] = [itex]\oint[/itex]EdA
    [itex]\Phi[/itex] = qenclosed/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]o*A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that I am to solve for E, and then take the integral in terms of r. But I'm still confused. I solved for E previously to get the following:

E[itex]\oint[/itex]dA = qenclosed/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]o
    E*A = qenclosed/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]o

A = 2*pi*r*h
    qenclosed = λ(h) + ρ(volume of cylinder)

Therefore:

E(2*pi*r*h) = [λ(h) + ρ(volume of cylinder)]/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]o
    E = [λ(h) + ρ(volume of cylinder)]/([itex]\epsilon[/itex]o)*(2*pi*r*h)

I'm confident about taking the integral of that equation above, but I'm just not sure what interval I'm supposed to take it over. Any help is appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You know what direction that field is in at any given point. At a point x along the the line from R to P, what is the strength and direction of the field? What is its component in the direction RP? (This can also be done vectorially of course.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook