1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of Infinite Sheets of Charge and Conducting Slab

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An infinite sheet of charge is located in the y-z plane at x = 0 and has uniform charge denisity σ1 = 0.39 μC/m2. Another infinite sheet of charge with uniform charge density σ2 = -0.15 μC/m2 is located at x = c = 30.0 cm.. An uncharged infinite conducting slab is placed halfway in between these sheets ( i.e., between x = 13.0 cm and x = 17.0 cm).

What is V(S) - V(P), the potentital difference between point P and point S, located at (x,y) = (23.5 cm, -17.0 cm)?

2. Relevant equations
    1/4*∏*ε *∫dq/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured I could just use the equation I gave above and integrate to get ln(r) and subtract point S-point P, but it did not work. I just want some guidance as to how to progress. Thank you in advance, I am kind of new here so I appreciate the help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2
    You must take into account the conductor between the two charges.

Use V=2*pi*k*Charge Density*d

It will be easier if you split it into pieces and then continue,

A) V(P)=2*pi*k*σ1*(d from first line of charge)
    +V(p)=2*pi*k*σ2*(d from second line of charge minus the conductor)

then do the same for V(s)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook