1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of Infinite Sheets of Charge and Conducting Slab

1. Jan 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An infinite sheet of charge is located in the y-z plane at x = 0 and has uniform charge denisity σ1 = 0.39 μC/m2. Another infinite sheet of charge with uniform charge density σ2 = -0.15 μC/m2 is located at x = c = 30 cm.. An uncharged infinite conducting slab is placed halfway in between these sheets ( i.e., between x = 13 cm and x = 17 cm). What is σa, the charge density on the surface of the conducting slab at x = 13 cm?

2. Relevant equations
    h6_planeA.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the electric field in the slab is zero, but I do not know how to find the charge density on the surface of the slab in this instance. Thanks for the help in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Would it matter if the conducting slab was 2000 cm thick instead of 2 cm (with of course the same distance between b and c) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted