Find Energies Bound States Potential Well: Time Independent SE

• Thread starter classical_phys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energies for the bound states of a potential well with a given potential. The Time Independent Schrodinger Equation is mentioned as a possible approach, and the use of boundary conditions to determine constants is suggested. The differential equations for each region of the potential well are written out and it is mentioned that the non-physical region can be set to zero. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to consult notes or a textbook for further guidance on solving the problem.
classical_phys

Homework Statement

Find the energies for the bound states of a potential well with the following potential:
V(x)= +∞ for x<0
-V0 for 0<x<a
0 for x>a

Homework Equations

Time Independent Schrodinger Equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really do not know where to start; I've read through my text, looked through my notes, and am unsure of what to do. I think that you have to solve the SE; but I'm not sure how to, or if that is what you have to do. That seems to be the common thing through all of the physical systems we have discussed in class. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does it mean for the particle to be in a bound state? Write the TISE in the region 0 < x < a and x > a and then solve those equations to obtain the behavior of the wave function in each region. Use the boundary conditions to determine the constants, with which you can extract the allowed energies.

Thank you CAF123; that makes sense. I must admit, I have not had a diff equations class yet, so I am very confused by them. However, I do understand what you mean by applying the TISE to each region of the well. Thanks again.

With CAF123's help, i was able to come up with the following differential equations for each region of the potential well.
REGION 1.)
[itex]\frac{\partial^2ψ}{\partial x^2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{-2m}{h^2}[/itex]Eψ

REGION 2.)
[itex]\frac{\partial^2ψ}{\partial x^2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{-2m}{h^2}[/itex](E+V0

REGION 3.)
This region blows up to infinity; since the well was defined as having infinite potential (V(x)=∞) with x< 0, adding infinity to the SE blows it up. This just heads to infinity.

I am unsure of what to do next; I know that this has to be solved, I just don't know how to do it. Any pointers would be great. Thanks.
PS: h is not just Planck's constant, but it is h-bar. Thanks again.

classical_phys said:
REGION 1.)
[itex]\frac{\partial^2ψ}{\partial x^2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{-2m}{h^2}[/itex]Eψ

REGION 2.)
[itex]\frac{\partial^2ψ}{\partial x^2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{-2m}{h^2}[/itex](E+V0
This is correct, although you do not need partial derivatives here. ##\psi## is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian and as such does not depend on time, only x, so a total derivative is fine here.

REGION 3.)
This region blows up to infinity; since the well was defined as having infinite potential (V(x)=∞) with x< 0, adding infinity to the SE blows it up. This just heads to infinity.
The region x < 0 is a non-physical region, so we set ##\psi = 0## here.

I am unsure of what to do next; I know that this has to be solved, I just don't know how to do it.
Perhaps check your notes or a textbook. It is quite common for the infinite potential to be worked and then the step potential. The solutions in the regions are oscillatory motion and decaying exponential.

1. What is the Time Independent Schrödinger Equation (SE)?

The Time Independent Schrödinger Equation (SE) is a mathematical equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time. It is used to find the energies of bound states in a potential well, which is a region of space where a particle is confined.

2. How is the Time Independent SE used to find energies in a potential well?

The Time Independent SE is used to find the energies of bound states in a potential well by solving the equation for the wave function of the system. The solutions to the equation represent the different energy levels that a particle can have while being confined in the potential well.

3. What is a bound state in a potential well?

A bound state in a potential well refers to a state in which a particle is confined within a certain region of space due to the presence of a potential energy barrier. In other words, the particle is trapped in the potential well and cannot escape unless it gains enough energy to overcome the barrier.

4. How does the shape of a potential well affect the energies of bound states?

The shape of a potential well can affect the energies of bound states by changing the potential energy barrier that the particle must overcome to escape. A deeper potential well will have higher energy levels for bound states, while a shallower potential well will have lower energy levels.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Time Independent SE to find energies in a potential well?

One limitation of using the Time Independent SE is that it only applies to time-independent systems. This means that the potential well must remain constant over time and there can be no external forces acting on the particle. Additionally, the Time Independent SE does not take into account relativistic effects and is limited to non-relativistic particles.