Potential Theory: Study Caracteristics of Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving the theory of potential and the two laws of Newton. The equation has 3 vector variables and is a quasilinear first order homogeneous PDE. It is a part of a system of equations from Maxwell and appears to be related to fluid dynamics. However, it cannot be solved as it only has one equation and 9 unknowns. Further information about the context is needed to fully understand its significance.
Raparicio
Dear friends,

I need to know, in the theory of the potential, what must I do to study the caracteristics of this formulae:

[tex]0=\vec{v} [\nabla \vec{j}+ \frac{ \partial \vec{D}}{\partial t} ]+ [\nabla \vec{D} \frac {\partial \vec{v}}{\partial t} ]+ \nabla \vec{D} (\vec{v} \nabla ) \vec{v}[/tex]

Thanks you so much

R. Aparicio.

Physics news on Phys.org
Raparicio said:
Dear friends,

I need to know, in the theory of the potential, what must I do to study the caracteristics of this formulae:

[tex]0=\vec{v} [\nabla \vec{j}+ \frac{ \partial \vec{D}}{\partial t} ]+ [\nabla \vec{D} \frac {\partial \vec{v}}{\partial t} ]+ \nabla \vec{D} (\vec{v} \nabla ) \vec{v}[/tex]

Thanks you so much

R. Aparicio.

I'm not sure what u mean by "characteristics".If u mean the "characteristic curves" or "integral curves",then there is a problem as the equation u posted has 3 vector variables in 3D (probably),which means 9 unknowns.I'm absolutely sure that u couldn't find any integral curves...By the way,maybe if u told us where did u get this eq.and what [itex] \vec{D} [/itex] and [itex]\vec{j} [/itex] mean (i assumed \vec(v) was transport velocity),we could give you some more help...Mathematically speaking it is a quasilinear first order homogeneous PDE.As it's only one eq.and about 9 unknown functions,i'm sure it is part of a system of PDE-s.
So,help us to help you... :smile:

Daniel.

Last edited:
Maxwell

dextercioby said:
I'm not sure what u mean by "characteristics".If u mean the "characteristic curves" or "integral curves",then there is a problem as the equation u posted has 3 vector variables in 3D (probably),which means 9 unknowns.I'm absolutely sure that u couldn't find any integral curves...By the way,maybe if u told us where did u get this eq.and what [itex] \vec{D} [/itex] and [itex]\vec{j} [/itex] mean (i assumed \vec(v) was transport velocity),we could give you some more help...Mathematically speaking it is a quasilinear first order homogeneous PDE.As it's only one eq.and about 9 unknown functions,i'm sure it is part of a system of PDE-s.
So,help us to help you... :smile:

Daniel.

Dear Daniel,

Is an ecuation that I have seen in a book, that is a part of a theory that says that the formula includes the 2 law of Newton. It's a formula that could be a part of the system of formulas from Maxwell. My answer is that if there's a way to resolve it, or if could have information about what really means it.

R.Aparicio.

Raparicio said:
Dear Daniel,

Is an ecuation that I have seen in a book, that is a part of a theory that says that the formula includes the 2 law of Newton. It's a formula that could be a part of the system of formulas from Maxwell. My answer is that if there's a way to resolve it, or if could have information about what really means it.

R.Aparicio.

Yes,most of the fluid dynamics equations are derived from the second law of dynamics by Newton.However,a more riguros approach would involve Botzmann's equation.
The only system of equations by Maxwell i know of is the one in electrodynamics.Your equation looks fluid dynamics to me.
I already told u that it is a first order PDE with 9 unknowns and only one equation.It cannot be solved.You need exactly 9 INDEPENDENT equations to solve for each of the components of the 3 vectors.
I cannot give you the signification,since you haven't revealed the context:the book/article/univ.course from where u've gotten it...

Daniel.

1. What is potential theory?

Potential theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of harmonic functions, which are solutions to Laplace's equation. It is used to study physical phenomena such as heat flow, electricity, and fluid dynamics.

2. What are the characteristics of potential theory?

The main characteristics of potential theory are the use of harmonic functions, the application of Laplace's equation, and the study of physical phenomena through mathematical models.

3. How is potential theory used in science?

Potential theory has many applications in science, including in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to model and analyze physical phenomena such as heat transfer, electrostatics, and fluid dynamics.

4. What is Laplace's equation and how is it related to potential theory?

Laplace's equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the behavior of harmonic functions. It is closely related to potential theory as it is used to solve for the potential in various physical systems.

5. What are some real-world examples of potential theory?

Potential theory has many practical applications in the real world, such as in the design of electrical circuits, the study of groundwater flow, and the analysis of heat distribution in buildings. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics in aircraft design and weather forecasting.