1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential wells

1. Jul 17, 2004 #1
    My name is Unmesh Kamle. I have just passed high school and began reading about Potential wells and about electrons trapped inside them (from Resnick Halliday Krane). I m also reading about Supersymmetry. I m new member on this discussion forum. Could somebody reply to this message so that I can discuss my ideas with them. I m 17 yrs. old. You would think I m too young to understand anything. But I m quite comfortable with calculus and higher algebra. I come from India and Physics is all calculus based here.

I would like to discuss about M-theory, potential wells, relativistic mechanics, chandreshekhar's limit etc..

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2004 #2
    Heck I'm 17 too. I know people that are even younger. People of all ages are welcome here. :wink:

4. Jul 19, 2004 #3
    Here's a good potential well to study: The double Morse potential. It is shaped like a bowl with a hump in it. It is used to model car wax, since the active ingredient in car wax (potassium di-hydrogen phosphate -- KDP) has such a potential shape. You could use a tool like Mathematica to solve the Schroedinger equation numerically, then compare the energy levels with experiment. COOOL project. (One that I have done.)

5. Aug 7, 2004 #4
    Sounds interesting Unmesh. So do you plan to pursue physics in future?

6. Aug 7, 2004 #5
    I just did.
    Im 18, so i dont think 17 is too young to understand anything.

7. Aug 14, 2004 #6
    I think he mentioned it because he thinks most PF contributors/members are "old" :tongue2: (not to be taken too seriously)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?