Potential Wells: What Is a Potential Well & What Does Its Graph Tell Us?

In summary, a potential well is a region of space with the least potential energy. A particle stays in a potential well until it is moved by a force.
Shaybay92
So I have looked up some related posts about potential wells but none of them really actually talk about what a potential well IS... what does the line on the graph actually tell us? what potential is it talking about?

Physics news on Phys.org
Got a link to a graph to show us by chance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Potential_well.png
Something like this... but its not really this exact example. I just want to know how you go from a physical situation (e.g. an electron going past a proton) to a potential well diagram.

Shaybay92 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Potential_well.png
Something like this... but its not really this exact example. I just want to know how you go from a physical situation (e.g. an electron going past a proton) to a potential well diagram.

Ohh...I wish i knew enough to help you out. I don't know either though.

At first we calculate the potential of every point of space.In fact we make a scalar field.
Then we draw a diagram of potential vs. position.
A potential well in fact is somewhere which a particle is in equilibrium.How do we understand it?
The point is that in a potential field,force arrows are toward the decrease of potential.so a particle placed in a potential field always moves to reach the point with less potential.A potential well has the least potential in an area of the field.So a particle stays there till its applied a force.If a force is not big enough to move it out of well,it starts to oscillate about the minimum and at last stops at that point.
And one point.A potential well is not only in quantum mechanics.Its in classical physics too.
I hope I helped

Hi Shyan, thanks so much.

Now I have another question, if we have a potential well diagram as I showed above and there is a particle with more energy than the top of the well, why is it that we know for sure it won't go into that well. I mean, as you said there are forces causing this potential well so why won't this particle be pushed towards the well?... I hope this makes sense.

A particle has a total energy shown by E and E=U+K
K is the particle's kinetic energy and U potential energy which is derived from the potential of the particle's position and one of the particle's properties for example its charge.In this case U=qV.
When the forces acting on the particle are just conservative forces(electromagnetism and gravity),E is conserved.So U or K can't get bigger than E.this is the meaning of that dashed horizontal line.In your diagram,the particle can't go further than x1 and x2 because beyond those points,U>E.
If the force creating the field is the only force acting on the particle,just this force affects its motion.Another possibility for this situation is drawing the field for the net force acting on the particle(providing all forces are conservative because just conservative forces have force and potential fields)
Looks like I didn't understand your question but I think I gave you enough information for answering it still feel free asking more!I'll be happy.

This is a little off topic but can anyone explain to me how to sketch a wave function based on the potential well without having to solve the Schrodinger Equation? Apparently for a triangular potential well the solution looks like http://www.nextnano.de/nextnano3/tutorial/1Dtutorial_GaAs_triangular_well.htm . My problem is the question I'm doing asks me to sketch it simple arguments without doing any calculations. Anyone have any clue how to justify it without referring to the Airy functions? I understand that the wavefunction will be greater near the low potential but how do i justify it more articulately?

Btw can anyone explain how a particle can escape a finite well even when its total energy is less than the well itself? Is it just a consequence of having part of the wavefunction lie outside the well?

1. What is a potential well?

A potential well is a concept in physics that describes the energy of a particle within a specific region. It is a region of space where the potential energy of a particle is at its minimum, causing the particle to be trapped and stable within that region.

2. How is a potential well represented graphically?

A potential well is typically represented graphically as a curve on a graph with the x-axis representing the position of the particle and the y-axis representing the potential energy. The curve is typically U-shaped, with a minimum point representing the potential well.

3. What does the graph of a potential well tell us?

The graph of a potential well provides information about the stability and energy of a particle within a specific region. The depth of the potential well represents the minimum potential energy of the particle and the width of the well represents the range in which the particle can move while remaining trapped.

4. How does the shape of a potential well affect the behavior of a particle?

The shape of a potential well can greatly affect the behavior of a particle. A deep and narrow potential well will result in a stable particle that is confined to a small range of positions. A shallow and wide potential well will result in a less stable particle that can move over a larger range of positions.

5. What are some real-world applications of potential wells?

Potential wells have various applications in physics and engineering. They are used to describe the behavior of particles in atoms, molecules, and other systems. Potential wells are also utilized in technologies such as particle accelerators and quantum computers.