1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potentials and curl

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to get a picture of magnetic potential, as in how to relate it to spin precession.
    (So have I got the right picture so far?)

Classically, B is measured as the derivative of curl (which is a circulation integral) "around" a conducting current (that is, perpendicular to the direction of current I).
    Gauss' Law says the field is divergence-free, which means it circulates linearly, and the integral is just BL, for any circular integral along a circumference L, of a potential around say, a 1-d current in a wire.

Einstein and de Haas tried to measure precessional forces to explain magnets, by envisaging electrons as being in orbits and precessing, as a gyroscope does in a gravitational potential. It didn't quite explain magnetism because it didn't allow for Pauli's exclusion principle that 'admits' two electrons, which share an orbital; magnetic forces are in fact related to electron's spin angular momentum, not their orbital momentum. Or electrons rotate "in place", rather than orbiting like gyroscopes.

Aharonov-Bohm phase precession is due to a magnetic potential in a curl-free region, which rotates the spin precession angles in a divided beam of electrons.
    It looks like a bump for 1/2 the beam, and like a dip for the other 1/2. One spin phase shifts up or 'squeezes' over the dip, the other shifts down or 'expands' over the bump in potential. The phase-difference is preserved, as momentum carries the matter-wave to a detector.

So it's about how to relate the geometry of a magnetic field (potential) to the geometry of spin in electrons.
    Is potential just equal to the precession angle, since a change in this angle, will change the local potential gradient?

It's a question (I think), of seeing the geometry and topology involved. The algebra is the really tricky bit with complex quantum spaces with a dimension of [tex] \mathbb C^{2n} [/tex]. Anyways, there's this somewhat dated article in a '81 SciAm about the A-B geometry and neutron spin-precession. Quite an interesting geometric picture; they relate geodesics (over an inclined conic surface) to parallel transport, then what a "path-lifting" does, and so on.

You can relate the observed patterns of interference to the topology and geometry of spin precession. Spin is a 'component' of the Schrodinger wavefunction(?), and charge is too(?), whereas position and momentum are another component, or IOW the wavefunction is a "mixed wave" of spin, charge, and mass wave components? There's a major difference between the A-B experiment and neutron interferometry, wrt to the magnetic field applied, since the neutrons cross classical field-lines, or do not travel through a curl-free region, but see a field that rotates the precessional angle, over time, whereas the electrons see just a potential and preserve a single phase shift?

Have I left something out of this picture?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted