1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potentiometer circuit

1. Jul 31, 2017 #1
    1. problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) What is the relationship between Ix
    and Rx ?
    2) Prove that on varying resistance Rx , Ix reduces to zero .

?temp_hash=58f9f9179e62bd430e2c624d6094b137.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume resistance of Galvanometer is ##r## .
    Total resistance in middle branch is ##R## , Variable resistance is ##R_x##

Applying KVL in right loop clockwise ,

##-E_x - I_xr + (I-I_x)R_x =0##

Applying KVL in the left loop clockwise ,

##E_0 - (I-I_x)R = 0##

Solving the above two equations ,

$$I_x = E_0 \frac{R_x}{rR} - \frac{E_x}{r}$$

Now when ##R_x## decreases , the first term decreases and consequently ##I_x## decreases .Finally at a particular value of ##R_x## , ##I_x## becomes zero .The current in the Galvanometer is zero and the circuit is said to be balanced .

Is this correct ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2017 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

That's not correct.
    Current through R is not I-Ix throughout.
    What happens at point d?

4. Jul 31, 2017 #3
    Sorry .

The total resistance R in the middle branch can be broken up in two parts such that ##R_x + R' = R## .

Applying KVL in right loop clockwise ,

##-E_x - I_xr + (I-I_x)R_x =0##

Applying KVL in the left loop clockwise ,

##E_0 - (I-I_x)R_x - I(R-R_x) = 0##

Is it OK now ?

5. Jul 31, 2017 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes.

6. Jul 31, 2017 #5
    $$I_x = \frac{E_0R_x -E_x R}{RR_x -R_x^2+Rr}$$

Denominator will always be positive since ##R >R_x## .

As ##R_x## decreases ,first term in numerator decreases .As a consequence ##I_x## decreases . Finally for a particular value of ##R_x## , ##I_x## becomes 0 .

7. Jul 31, 2017 #6

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Looks good to me.

8. Jul 31, 2017 #7
    Thank you .

Just to keep things simple , I think there was no need to include resistance ##r## .The resistance of Galvanometer could have been neglected .

The final expression will be $$I_x = \frac{E_0R_x -E_x R}{RR_x -R_x^2}$$

Is there anything you would like to add to the analysis I have done ?

9. Jul 31, 2017 #8
    No . I think resistance ##r## has to be included . If resistances of both battery ##E_x## and Galvanometer are neglected then potential difference across points 'ad' would be equal to emf ##E_x## at all times . Including ##r## would mean that only when ##I_x = 0## the potential difference across 'ad' would equal emf ##E_x## .

10. Jul 31, 2017 #9

cnh1995

Homework Helper

As far as the potentiometer experiment is concerned, you need not use r as the null point does not depend on r.
    But then, Rx=R becomes an invalid condition (two ideal unequal voltage sources in parallel).
    So, I believe you should include r to make the circuit practical and free from contradictions such as infinite current and unequal voltage sources in parallel.

11. Jul 31, 2017 #10
    Thank you

12. Aug 2, 2017 #11
    From this equation I can also infer that just when the product of current from battery ##E_0## times resistance ##R_x## becomes equal to EMF ##E_x## , current ##I_x## becomes zero and null point is achieved .

In other words , ##I_x =0## , as and when ##E_x=IR_x## condition is achieved .

Can we put it this way ?

13. Aug 2, 2017 #12

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes.

14. Aug 2, 2017 #13
    I hope you are not reasoning it backwards in the sense , when ##I_x =0## , then ##E_x=IR_x## .

It's the other way round .
    It may look like I am over thinking this , but actually I need to explain potentiometer to someone . So I am just trying to simplify the analysis as much as I can .Since you are an expert in circuit , I just want to make sure my thinking is correct :smile:

15. Aug 2, 2017 #14

cnh1995

Homework Helper

16. Aug 3, 2017 #15
    Thanks .

One last clarification .

In the figure given in OP , as we move the jockey along potentiometer wire , current ##I## in the primary circuit changes .

But in the textbook I have to refer states that , there is also a rheostat in the primary circuit maintaining a constant current flow in the potentiometer wire all the time (while jockey moves on the wire)

Is this the way ?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  17. Aug 3, 2017 #16
    @gneill , do you believe a constant current flowing in the potentiometer wires is a necessity ? Is a rheostat really required in the primary circuit ?

18. Aug 3, 2017 #17

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I don't see how a rheostat can maintain a constant current in the circuit. Constant current is not a requirement here. I believe it is used to adjust the potential gradient along the potentiometer wire.

19. Aug 3, 2017 #18
    I think the rheostat comes in picture when we are required to take more than one reading .First time any suitable value of rheostat would work .While taking second reading , it's value could change resulting in different value of primary current .Potential gradient would change . If we are comparing EMF's , balance lenths would also change , but the ratio of EMF's would very nearly be same as the previous result . Then we could find the mean value of the results .

20. Aug 3, 2017 #19

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes, that's how it is performed in laboratory.
    But the rheostat's function is still the same.

21. Aug 3, 2017 #20
    But potential gradient is adjusted by altering current in primary circuit .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted