Potentiometer Circuit 1: Balancing the Current - Solving for Ix and Rx

In summary, the relationship between Ix and Rx can be summarized as follows: when the product of current from battery ##E_0## times resistance ##R_x## becomes equal to EMF ##E_x## , current ##I_x## becomes zero and the circuit is said to be balanced.
conscience
1. problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) What is the relationship between Ix
and Rx ?
2) Prove that on varying resistance Rx , Ix reduces to zero .

?temp_hash=58f9f9179e62bd430e2c624d6094b137.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume resistance of Galvanometer is ##r## .
Total resistance in middle branch is ##R## , Variable resistance is ##R_x##

Applying KVL in right loop clockwise ,

##-E_x - I_xr + (I-I_x)R_x =0##

Applying KVL in the left loop clockwise ,

##E_0 - (I-I_x)R = 0##

Solving the above two equations ,

$$I_x = E_0 \frac{R_x}{rR} - \frac{E_x}{r}$$

Now when ##R_x## decreases , the first term decreases and consequently ##I_x## decreases .Finally at a particular value of ##R_x## , ##I_x## becomes zero .The current in the Galvanometer is zero and the circuit is said to be balanced .

Is this correct ?

Thanks

Attachments

• potentiometer.png
    potentiometer.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
conscience said:
E0−(I−Ix)R=0E0−(I−Ix)R=0E_0 - (I-I_x)R = 0
That's not correct.
Current through R is not I-Ix throughout.
What happens at point d?

Likes conscience
cnh1995 said:
That's not correct.
Current through R is not I-Ix throughout.
What happens at point d?

Sorry .

The total resistance R in the middle branch can be broken up in two parts such that ##R_x + R' = R## .

Applying KVL in the left loop clockwise ,

##E_0 - (I-I_x)R_x - I(R-R_x) = 0##

Is it OK now ?

conscience said:
E0−(I−Ix)Rx−I(R−Rx)=0E0−(I−Ix)Rx−I(R−Rx)=0E_0 - (I-I_x)R_x - I(R-R_x) = 0
Yes.

$$I_x = \frac{E_0R_x -E_x R}{RR_x -R_x^2+Rr}$$

Denominator will always be positive since ##R >R_x## .

As ##R_x## decreases ,first term in numerator decreases .As a consequence ##I_x## decreases . Finally for a particular value of ##R_x## , ##I_x## becomes 0 .

conscience said:
$$I_x = \frac{E_0R_x -E_x R}{RR_x -R_x^2+Rr}$$

Denominator will always be positive since ##R >R_x## .

As ##R_x## decreases ,first term in numerator decreases .As a consequence ##I_x## decreases . Finally for a particular value of ##R_x## , ##I_x## becomes 0 .
Looks good to me.

Likes conscience
Thank you .

Just to keep things simple , I think there was no need to include resistance ##r## .The resistance of Galvanometer could have been neglected .

The final expression will be $$I_x = \frac{E_0R_x -E_x R}{RR_x -R_x^2}$$

Is there anything you would like to add to the analysis I have done ?

No . I think resistance ##r## has to be included . If resistances of both battery ##E_x## and Galvanometer are neglected then potential difference across points 'ad' would be equal to emf ##E_x## at all times . Including ##r## would mean that only when ##I_x = 0## the potential difference across 'ad' would equal emf ##E_x## .

conscience said:
I think resistance rrr has to be included
As far as the potentiometer experiment is concerned, you need not use r as the null point does not depend on r.
But then, Rx=R becomes an invalid condition (two ideal unequal voltage sources in parallel).
So, I believe you should include r to make the circuit practical and free from contradictions such as infinite current and unequal voltage sources in parallel.

Likes conscience
Thank you

conscience said:

From this equation I can also infer that just when the product of current from battery ##E_0## times resistance ##R_x## becomes equal to EMF ##E_x## , current ##I_x## becomes zero and null point is achieved .

In other words , ##I_x =0## , as and when ##E_x=IR_x## condition is achieved .

Can we put it this way ?

conscience said:
In other words , Ix=0Ix=0I_x =0 , as and when Ex=IRxEx=IRxE_x=IR_x condition is achieved .
Yes.

Likes conscience
I hope you are not reasoning it backwards in the sense , when ##I_x =0## , then ##E_x=IR_x## .

It's the other way round .
As and when the product of current from battery ##E_0## times resistance ##R_x## becomes equal to EMF ##E_x## , current ##I_x## becomes zero and null point is achieved .

It may look like I am over thinking this , but actually I need to explain potentiometer to someone . So I am just trying to simplify the analysis as much as I can .Since you are an expert in circuit , I just want to make sure my thinking is correct :smile:

conscience said:
It may look like I am over thinking this , but actually I need to explain potentiometer to someone . So I am just trying to simplify the analysis as much as I can .Since you are an expert in circuit , I just want to make sure my thinking is correct
It is correct. In fact, I said something much similar in this recent thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/find-the-value-of-resistance-in-the-circuit.921298/
See #22 and #29.

Likes conscience
Thanks .

One last clarification .

In the figure given in OP , as we move the jockey along potentiometer wire , current ##I## in the primary circuit changes .

But in the textbook I have to refer states that , there is also a rheostat in the primary circuit maintaining a constant current flow in the potentiometer wire all the time (while jockey moves on the wire)

Is this the way ?

Last edited:
@gneill , do you believe a constant current flowing in the potentiometer wires is a necessity ? Is a rheostat really required in the primary circuit ?

conscience said:
there is also a rheostat in the primary circuit maintaining a constant current flow in the potentiometer wire all the time (while jockey moves on the wire)
I don't see how a rheostat can maintain a constant current in the circuit. Constant current is not a requirement here. I believe it is used to adjust the potential gradient along the potentiometer wire.

Likes conscience
I think the rheostat comes in picture when we are required to take more than one reading .First time any suitable value of rheostat would work .While taking second reading , it's value could change resulting in different value of primary current .Potential gradient would change . If we are comparing EMF's , balance lenths would also change , but the ratio of EMF's would very nearly be same as the previous result . Then we could find the mean value of the results .

conscience said:
I think the rheostat comes in picture when we are required to take more than one reading .First time any suitable value of rheostat would work .While taking second reading , it's value could change resulting in different value of primary current .Potential gradient would change . If we are comparing EMF's , balance lenths would also change , but the ratio of EMF's would very nearly be same as the previous result . Then we could find the mean value of the results .
Yes, that's how it is performed in laboratory.
But the rheostat's function is still the same.
cnh1995 said:
I believe it is used to adjust the potential gradient along the potentiometer wire.

cnh1995 said:
I believe it is used to adjust the potential gradient along the potentiometer wire.

But potential gradient is adjusted by altering current in primary circuit .

conscience said:
But potential gradient is adjusted by altering current in primary circuit .
...which is done by altering the rheostat position, isn't it?

Right .

Thanks !

1. What is a potentiometer circuit?

A potentiometer circuit is an electrical circuit that uses a variable resistor called a potentiometer to control the flow of current. It is often used as a voltage divider, with the output voltage being proportional to the position of the potentiometer’s wiper. This allows for precise control of the output voltage.

2. How does a potentiometer circuit work?

A potentiometer has three terminals: two fixed ends and one movable wiper. The two fixed ends are connected to the power supply and ground, while the wiper is connected to the output. As the wiper moves along the resistor, the resistance between the wiper and the fixed ends changes, resulting in a change in output voltage.

3. What are the different types of potentiometer circuits?

The most common types of potentiometer circuits are the voltage divider circuit, the rheostat circuit, and the potentiometer as a variable resistor circuit. The voltage divider circuit is used to divide a fixed voltage into a variable voltage, while the rheostat circuit is used to control the amount of current in a circuit. The potentiometer as a variable resistor circuit is used to vary the resistance in a circuit, thus controlling the flow of current.

4. What are the applications of potentiometer circuits?

Potentiometer circuits have a wide range of applications in electronics, such as in volume and tone controls for audio systems, speed controls for motors, and dimmer switches for lighting. They are also used in scientific instruments, such as potentiometric titration devices, and in industrial settings for process control and measurement.

5. How do I choose the right potentiometer for my circuit?

When choosing a potentiometer for a circuit, you will need to consider the resistance range, power rating, and type (linear or logarithmic). The resistance range should be suitable for the circuit, and the power rating should be high enough to handle the current flowing through the circuit. The type of potentiometer will depend on the application and the desired response of the circuit. It is important to also consider the physical size and mounting options of the potentiometer for practical purposes.