Potentiometer nulling voltages in a circuit

In summary, the potentiometer and the emf of cell E2 are unknown. Now to know the emf just finding the null point of the galvanometer is enough. Its because at that given length the potentiometer has the same potential as the cell. But why are they equal at null point?
esha
1500135281942.jpeg
this is the potentiometer and the emf of cell E2 is unknown. now to know the emf just finding the null point of the galvanometer is enough. its because at that given length the potentiometer has the same potential as the cell. but why are they equal at null point?

Sent from my Micromax E311 using Physics Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes totaaaaan
Physics news on Phys.org
esha said:
View attachment 207224 this is the potentiometer and the emf of cell E2 is unknown. now to know the emf just finding the null point of the galvanometer is enough. its because at that given length the potentiometer has the same potential as the cell. but why are they equal at null point?

Sent from my Micromax E311 using Physics Forums mobile app
They are pushing in opposite directions and balance out at the null point.

sorry but i don't understand the pushing idea

@esha -- Currently this looks like a general question, but it may still get moved to the schoolwork forums.

And here is your picture rightside-up, and cleaned up a bit.

PF  Potentiometer Fixed.jpeg

Likes cnh1995
thanks for the edit

No worries. Is the structure A-J-B supposed to be the potentiometer? If so, it sure is drawn in an unconventional way...

yea its the potentiometer

esha said:
potentiometer and the emf of cell E2 is unknown. now to know the emf just finding the null point of the galvanometer is enough. its because at that given length the potentiometer has the same potential as the cell. but why are they equal at null point?
I'm not quite getting the question. The problem is that we do not know the relationship between the resistor in the upper circuit and the resistance of the potentiometer between ends A and B. or is that relationship given? That voltage divider will determine the null point for the potentiometer wiper, and without that relationship I don't think much can be said...

yea the value of the above resistor is given. but i don't understand why is that resistor required when the potentiometer wire itself has some resistance

It's not required, but it does complicate the problem. What is the relationship that is given?

ill be able to figure the value of the potential of the E2 cell... i just need to know why the potential difference AJ is equal to the cell E2 at null point

When you connect two batteries of the exact same potential in parallel, no current flows between them. That's because there is no potential difference to drive the current.

In the circuit above, start with the wiper not connected to the lower circuit. Using a voltmeter connected between A and J of the potentiometer, move the wiper J until you read the voltage E2 on the voltmeter. Now connect the galvanometer end of the lower circuit to J. This is the same situation as two parallel identical batteries. No current will flow through the bottom loop, because there is no potential difference to drive that extra current (so the galvanometer reads zero). All the voltage drop from A-J is caused by current in the upper loop still.

Hope that helps.

i got it but why is there no potential difference in the bottom loop? sorry if i m being too stupid

esha said:
i got it but why is there no potential difference in the bottom loop? sorry if i m being too stupid
You're not being stupid. I'm having a conceptual problem with this as well, but I think it's because the circuit is non-physical with zero resistance in the bottom loop. An ideal voltage source and an ideal galvanometer each have zero internal resistance, so the problem is poorly formulated, IMO.

Instead, let's insert a small resistor in series with the galvanometer. Now you can write KCL equations for nodes A and J (make B ground), and you will be able to see how no current flows in the bottom loop when the voltage from A-J is equal to E2 (and the voltage drop across the bottom loop resistor is zero, since there is no current at that nulling point).

IMG_20170715_235215.jpg
is this the kirchhoffs voltage equation you r talking bout?

Last edited by a moderator:
then if its correct E2 = I2R1.

esha said:
then if its correct E2 = I2R1.
Correct. :smile:

so the ultimate conclusion is 2E2 = I1r. this means at null point E2 = 0. okk... so that's y I2R1 must equal E2 at null point. m i right?

esha said:
this means at null point E2 = 0
No, E2 is a voltage. The current through the bottom leg is zero at the null point.

yea but voltage can be altered depending upon the internal resistance.. so its zero at null point... or else current would have flown

No, at the null point of the potentiometer, E2 is the same voltage it always is, and I1 is zero.

okk i got it... thanks for the help... you helped me a looooooot today

esha said:
but why are they equal at null point?
The null point is where there is no Potential Difference - that's why no current flows through the meter.

I think something very important about using a Potentiometer 'properly' may have been missed out here. The battery voltage ξ1 is not used when a potentiometer is used seriously because it is always supplying current. Three batteries (cells) are used for an accurate measurement of emf. The 'power supply battery' is just chosen as having loads of capacity so it will not change volts (sag) over the period of the measurements. You then compare the ξ2 from a battery under test and ξ3 from a reference battery, making sure that batteries 2 and 3 never draw more than a very small amount of current. This way, it doesn't matter what the power supply PD or its series resistor R are (as long as they are 'appropriate'). The ratio of the lengths of potentiometer wire (at balance) gives the ratio of ξ2 and ξ3 because neither battery is supplying any current.

Likes Merlin3189 and cnh1995
but if the batteries are present what prevents them from supplying current?

esha said:
sophiecentaur said:
The null point is where there is no Potential Difference

You find a point on the potentiometer wire such that the potential difference across that wire segment is equal to the emf of the unknown source. This is why there is zero potential difference across the meter as sophiecentaur said earlier.

esha said:
If you have two water tanks, suspended with their water levels at equal heights above ground and you connect them, no water will flow because the gravitational potentials are the same. Same with a battery connected to a point with the same potential - no charge will flow.

Likes berkeman
I usually give this simple explanation for null deflection. If we take the conventional direction of current then the cell E1 causes a current to flow in the wire AB in anticlockwise direction whereas E2 does in clockwise direction. When we touch the jockey at different points on the wire these two opposing currents/emf s sends current through the wire. The point where they are equal and opposite gives the zero deflection. At this point the potential drop created by E1 and E2 are equal and opposite.

Likes esha

1. What is a potentiometer and how does it work?

A potentiometer is an electronic component that allows for variable resistance in a circuit. It works by having a fixed resistance and a movable contact that can change the amount of resistance in the circuit.

2. Why is nulling voltage important in a circuit?

Nulling voltage is important because it allows for precise adjustments to be made to the resistance in a circuit. This is especially useful in sensitive electronic devices where even small changes in voltage can have a significant impact.

3. How do you measure nulling voltage in a potentiometer?

To measure nulling voltage in a potentiometer, you will need a voltmeter. Connect the two leads of the voltmeter to the two outer terminals of the potentiometer. Then, adjust the movable contact until the voltmeter reads 0 volts. This is the nulling voltage.

4. Can nulling voltage be adjusted manually?

Yes, nulling voltage can be adjusted manually by turning the movable contact of the potentiometer. However, it is important to be careful and make small adjustments, as even slight changes can have a big impact on the resistance in the circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of using potentiometer nulling voltage?

Potentiometer nulling voltage is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and audio equipment to allow for precise adjustments to the volume. It is also used in scientific instruments for measuring and controlling various parameters, such as temperature and pressure.