Potentiometer Problem: 3V Battery, 100cm Sliding Wire, and 60cm Voltmeter

In summary, a 3-V battery with 1Ω internal resistance is connected to a sliding wire with 100 cm length and 5Ω resistance. A voltmeter with negligible current is connected across 60 cm of the wire. The voltmeter reading is 1.5 volts. To calculate the reading with a 150 Ω voltmeter, the wire is split into two parts (60 cm and 40 cm) and converted into lumped resistors.
kaka01

Homework Statement

A 3-V battery of internal resistance 1Ω is joined to a sliding wire of length 100 cm and resistance 5 Ω . A voltmeter , which takes negligible current , is connected across 60 cm length of the wire . (a) What is the reading of the voltmeter ? (b) If the reistance of the voltmeter were 150 Ω , then what would have been its reading ?

Homework Equations

I=E/(R+r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I=E/(R+r)

V=IR

V=0.5 x 5

=2.5

K=.025

Reading= .025x60=1.5 volt

I am not getting second part .
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? Have you drawn the circuit? Can you post it?

Well split the wire into two parts (60 cm and 40 cm) and convert the circuit into lumped resistors..It'll get simple..

What is a potentiometer problem?

A potentiometer problem refers to any issue or malfunction with a potentiometer, which is an electronic component used to measure and adjust electrical resistance.

What are some common signs of a potentiometer problem?

Some common signs of a potentiometer problem include incorrect readings, a fluctuating or unstable output, or a complete failure to function.

What causes potentiometer problems?

Potentiometer problems can be caused by various factors, such as wear and tear, dirt or debris build-up, improper installation, or damage to the component.

How can I troubleshoot a potentiometer problem?

To troubleshoot a potentiometer problem, you can start by checking for any loose connections, cleaning the component, and testing for any damaged parts. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace the potentiometer.

Can potentiometer problems be prevented?

While potentiometer problems cannot always be prevented, regular maintenance and proper handling of the component can help to prolong its lifespan and reduce the likelihood of issues arising.