Discover the Formula for Calculating Potential Difference with a Potentiometer

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about a potentiometer, where a sliding contact is used to measure an unknown potential difference. The potential difference is shown to be V=(x/l)E under certain conditions. The conversation also clarifies that E refers to emf, and explains how the resistor is divided into two parts by the sliding contact.
eil2001
I have a homework question about a potentiometer. There is a resistor between a and b that is a uniform wire of length l, with a sliding contact c at a distance x from b. An unknown potential difference V is measured by sliding the contact until the galvonometer G reads zero. I need to show that under this condition the unknown potential difference is given by V=(x/l)E. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is meant by E?

npgreat said:
What is meant by E?

E is the emf.

The sliding contact divides the resistor in two other resistors [tex]R=R_1+R_2[/tex] where [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]R_2[/tex] are proportional with corresponding lengths (x and l-x). The current is given by
[tex]I=\frac{E}{R}[/tex]
and the potential difference between the ends of [tex]R_1[/tex]
[tex]V=I\cdot R_1[/tex]
and so on...

1. What is a potentiometer?

A potentiometer is an electronic component that is used to measure and control electrical potential, also known as voltage. It consists of a resistive element, a sliding contact, and three terminals that allow for the adjustment of resistance.

2. How does a potentiometer work?

A potentiometer works by varying the resistance of its resistive element through the movement of its sliding contact. This change in resistance affects the flow of current and allows for the measurement and control of voltage.

3. What are the different types of potentiometers?

The two main types of potentiometers are linear and rotary. Linear potentiometers have a linear motion of the sliding contact and are used for applications that require a linear change in voltage. Rotary potentiometers have a circular motion of the sliding contact and are used for applications that require a rotational change in voltage.

4. What are the common uses of potentiometers?

Potentiometers have a wide range of uses in various electronic devices and systems. They are commonly used as volume controls in audio equipment, as variable resistors in electronic circuits, and as sensors in industrial and scientific instruments.

5. How do I select the right potentiometer for my project?

The key factors to consider when selecting a potentiometer for your project are its resistance range, power rating, and mechanical specifications such as mounting type and shaft size. It is important to choose a potentiometer that can handle the voltage and current requirements of your project and has the appropriate mechanical fit for your application.