Potention in one dimension Help

• Thread starter Shafikae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a physics problem involving a classical particle in one dimension moving in a potential, with three parts discussing finding the minimum of the potential and sketching its graph, finding points of return depending on energy and determining bounded motion, and using Taylor expansion to find an approximation for the period of oscillation. The conversation also includes some hints and reminders to use basic calculus concepts to solve the problem.
Shafikae
Can anyone help me with a problem. Please just answer whatever you can. Thanks. I have not started the problem because I don't know where to begin. I can solve physics problems but i just can't seem to start any of them off.

A classical particle of mass m moves in the presence of the following potential in one dimension:

V (x) = V0 [e^(-2γx) - 2e^(-γx) ]

(a) Find the minimum of the potential V and sketch the graph of V.

(b) Find the points of return depending on the energy. For which energies is the motion of m bounded?

(c) Expand V around its minimum up to second order and find corresponding approximation for the period of the oscillation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shafikae said:
Can anyone help me with a problem. Please just answer whatever you can. Thanks. I have not started the problem because I don't know where to begin. I can solve physics problems but i just can't seem to start any of them off.

A classical particle of mass m moves in the presence of the following potential in one dimension:

V (x) = V0 [e^(-2γx) - 2e^(-γx) ]

(a) Find the minimum of the potential V and sketch the graph of V.

(b) Find the points of return depending on the energy. For which energies is the motion of m bounded?

(c) Expand V around its minimum up to second order and find corresponding approximation for the period of the oscillation.

Part (a) is just basic high school calculus. Surely you know how to find the minimum (or maximum) of a function?

For part (b), what is the definition of a "point of return"? What is true of the total energy for a bounded motion?

For part (c), just use a Taylor expansion (again, basic calculus!). Compare your result to the potential of a harmonic oscillator and use that to find the period.

What is potential in one dimension?

Potential in one dimension refers to the amount of energy that a particle has based on its position in a one-dimensional space. It is often represented by the symbol V(x).

How is potential in one dimension measured?

Potential in one dimension is measured in units of energy, such as joules or electron volts. It can also be represented graphically as a function of position, with the x-axis representing position and the y-axis representing potential energy.

What is the difference between potential and potential energy?

Potential refers to the amount of energy that a particle has at a specific position, while potential energy is the energy that a particle possesses due to its position in a force field. In other words, potential energy is a type of potential energy.

How does potential in one dimension affect particle motion?

The potential in one dimension determines the forces acting on a particle and therefore affects its motion. A particle will move in the direction of decreasing potential, as it seeks to minimize its potential energy. This is known as the principle of least action.

How is potential in one dimension used in physics?

Potential in one dimension is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to describe the behavior of particles in a variety of systems, such as in quantum mechanics and classical mechanics. It is also used in fields such as electromagnetism and thermodynamics to understand the behavior of particles and systems.