Find Potential Integral: Solve \frac{(r')^2 - 2 (r'') r}{r^2}

• Thread starter gulsen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the potential you are after is V= \frac{\dot{r}^2}{2r} and you don't have to carry out any integration. Just try to write your force in the form; F=-\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{r}} + \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{\dot{r}}})
gulsen
I have a force and need to find the potential, but I'm stuch at a point. Any ideas how to integrate this: [tex] \frac{(r')^2 - 2 (r'') r}{r^2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
what are r' and r''?

Likely unknown functions of an independent variable, say t,

something close is

[tex]\left( -\frac{r^{\prime}}{r}\right) ^{\prime} = \frac{(r^{\prime})^2-r^{\prime\prime}r}{r^2} [/tex]

but this leaves the term [tex]-\frac{r^{\prime\prime}}{r}[/tex] unaccounted for

also close is

[tex]\left( -\frac{(r^{\prime})^2}{r}\right) ^{\prime} = r^{\prime}\frac{(r^{\prime})^2-2r^{\prime\prime}r}{r^2} [/tex]

but has an extra factor of [tex]r^{\prime}[/tex] in it...

Are you sure that is the term to be integrated?

what are r' and r''?
Mathematicians...

Unfortunately, I'm sure this is the force to be integrated. It's a part of an exercise from Classical Mechanics, Goldstein, p32.

[
QUOTE=gulsen]I have a force and need to find the potential, but I'm stuch at a point. Any ideas how to integrate this: [tex] \frac{(r')^2 - 2 (r'') r}{r^2}[/tex]
[/QUOTE]

This is a scalar quantity! Force needs to be represented by a vector field.
You are missing something.

regards

sam

You can put a unit vector [tex]e_r[/tex] if you like. But it's so obvious that if we're talking about force, we're talking about a vector. And if you want a more precise definition, r is the distance of the particle to the center of force.

Instead of being so pedantic and saying "hey question wrong, question is incomplete, etc", will someone give a correct answer? Such posts have no use.

Last edited:
I think it works out better if you split the given in the question as

[tex] \frac{1}{r^2} \left( 1 + \frac{\left( r' \right)^{2}}{c^2} \right) - \frac{2}{c^2} \left( \frac{\left( r' \right)^{2}}{r^2} - \frac{r''}{r} \right)[/tex]

However, I am quite tired right now, so I may have made mistakes while doing the problem

Regards,
George

gulsen said:
You can put a unit vector [tex]e_r[/tex] if you like. But it's so obvious that if we're talking about force, we're talking about a vector. And if you want a more precise definition, r is the distance of the particle to the center of force.

Instead of being so pedantic and saying "hey question wrong, question is incomplete, etc", will someone give a correct answer? Such posts have no use.

OK, here is a useful post. The potential you are after is;
[tex]V= \frac{\dot{r}^2}{2r}[/tex]
and you don't have to carry out any integration**. Just try to write your force in the form;

[tex]F=-\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{r}} + \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{\dot{r}}})[/tex]

**Two months ago, I created a thread here called "Integrate This". The purpose of the thread was to share with people some of the tricks that I use in solving complicated integrals without going through a messy process of integration. Unfortunately, the thread was locked (I believe) for psychological reasons:biggrin: .Have a look at that thread, you may find some useful mathematical tricks in there.

regards

sam

1. What is the purpose of finding the potential integral for this equation?

The potential integral is used to find the solution for the given differential equation. It allows us to find the function that satisfies the equation and helps us understand the behavior of the system.

2. Can you provide an example of finding the potential integral for this equation?

For the given equation, the potential integral would be ∫(r')2 - 2(r'')r / r2 dr. We can then use integration techniques to solve this integral and find the potential function.

3. What is the significance of the constants in the potential integral?

The constants that appear in the potential integral are known as arbitrary constants. These constants are introduced during the process of finding the potential function and they represent the different possible solutions to the differential equation.

4. How does finding the potential integral help in solving the original equation?

Once we have found the potential function, we can differentiate it to obtain the original equation. This helps us verify that our solution is correct and also allows us to find other solutions by manipulating the constants in the potential function.

5. Are there any restrictions or conditions for finding the potential integral?

Yes, there are certain conditions that need to be satisfied in order to find the potential integral for a given differential equation. These conditions could include the form of the equation, boundary conditions, or other constraints. It is important to carefully analyze the equation before attempting to find the potential integral.