1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potentital integral

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    I have a force and need to find the potential, but I'm stuch at a point. Any ideas how to integrate this: [tex] \frac{(r')^2 - 2 (r'') r}{r^2}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2
    what are r' and r''?

4. Mar 4, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Likely unknown functions of an independent variable, say t,

something close is

[tex]\left( -\frac{r^{\prime}}{r}\right) ^{\prime} = \frac{(r^{\prime})^2-r^{\prime\prime}r}{r^2} [/tex]

but this leaves the term [tex]-\frac{r^{\prime\prime}}{r}[/tex] unaccounted for

also close is

[tex]\left( -\frac{(r^{\prime})^2}{r}\right) ^{\prime} = r^{\prime}\frac{(r^{\prime})^2-2r^{\prime\prime}r}{r^2} [/tex]

but has an extra factor of [tex]r^{\prime}[/tex] in it...

Are you sure that is the term to be integrated?

5. Mar 4, 2006 #4
    Mathematicians...

Unfortunately, I'm sure this is the force to be integrated. It's a part of an exercise from Classical Mechanics, Goldstein, p32.

6. Mar 8, 2006 #5

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

[
    [/QUOTE]

This is a scalar quantity! Force needs to be represented by a vector field.
    You are missing something.

regards

sam

7. Mar 14, 2006 #6
    You can put a unit vector [tex]e_r[/tex] if you like. But it's so obvious that if we're talking about force, we're talking about a vector. And if you want a more precise definition, r is the distance of the particle to the center of force.

Instead of being so pedantic and saying "hey question wrong, question is incomplete, etc", will someone give a correct answer? Such posts have no use.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  8. Mar 14, 2006 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it works out better if you split the given in the question as

[tex] \frac{1}{r^2} \left( 1 + \frac{\left( r' \right)^{2}}{c^2} \right) - \frac{2}{c^2} \left( \frac{\left( r' \right)^{2}}{r^2} - \frac{r''}{r} \right)[/tex]

However, I am quite tired right now, so I may have made mistakes while doing the problem

Regards,
    George

9. Mar 15, 2006 #8

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

OK, here is a useful post. The potential you are after is;
    [tex]V= \frac{\dot{r}^2}{2r}[/tex]
    and you donot have to carry out any integration**. Just try to write your force in the form;

[tex]F=-\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{r}} + \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{\dot{r}}})[/tex]

**Two months ago, I created a thread here called "Integrate This". The purpose of the thread was to share with people some of the tricks that I use in solving complicated integrals without going through a messy process of integration. Unfortunately, the thread was locked (I believe) for psychological reasons:biggrin: .Have a look at that thread, you may find some useful mathematical tricks in there.

regards

sam

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?