1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potter wheel

1. Nov 19, 2004 #1
    So I'm doing an online homework problem:

A potter's wheel - a thick stone disk of radius 0.405 m and mass 112 kg - is freely rotating at 48.0 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 5.67 s by pressing a wet rag against the rim and exerting a radially inward force of 69.1 N. Find the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and rag.

Round your answer to three significant figures.

[tex] f = \frac {I \omega_i}{r(\Delta t)} = \frac {(112 kg) (0.405 m^2)(48.0 rev/min)} {(0.405 m)(5.67 s)} \left(\frac{2\pi rad}{1 rev}\right) \left( \frac {1 min}{60 s}\right) = 40.2 N[/tex]

[tex] \mu_k = \frac {f}{n} = \frac {40.2}{69.1}=0.582 [/tex]

Trouble is, I keep getting "WRONG".

Am I doing it wrong? I also tried with different # of significant digits and nothin. Any help would be great.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2004 #2
    Looks like you're using mr^2 for the moment of Inertia...which would work if it were a ring..

..however, the moment of Inertia of a thick solid disk is:

I = 0.5mr^2..

.....hope that helps!
  4. Nov 19, 2004 #3
    Right right right... ok, thanks. I just got it after I posted this. heh heh
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?