1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potter's Wheel problem

1. Dec 2, 2003 #1
    Problem 3.
    A potter's wheel of radius 0.19m and mas 82.10 kg is freely rotating at 46.0 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 8.4 s by pressing a wet rag against the rim
    a. What is the angular acceleration of the wheel? In rad/s^2.
    Note: Is the formula to use in this problem t=I*a?Where I is moment of inertia and a = angular acceleration. How would the data in the problem be set up in the formula?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Is the formula to use in this problem t=I*a?Where I is moment of inertia and a = angular acceleration."
    What is t? Normally t means time but that doesn't make sense. I*a = force.

Acceleration is change in speed divided by the time required for the change (the problem says "In rad/s^2"- that's rad/s divided by s). Here you are told that the initial speed is 42 rev/ min (how many revolutions is that per second) and that it slows to 0 in 46 seconds. That's all the information you need.
  4. Dec 2, 2003 #3
    t= torque.
    This equation is Newton's second law of rotation. I was wondering if I= 12.5kg*m^2, then to find torque it is force times distance. I was wondering what would be the a to find the force? In addition if it is rev./min for a, do i just leave it in there?
  5. Dec 2, 2003 #4
    I don't see how you're getting that value for I.
    For this object
    Icm = (1/2)mr2

But anyway, it's irrelevant here.

As HallsofIvy already told you, you don't need torque or moment of inertia here. You have been given the angular velocity in rev/min, and you are told how long it takes to stop it.

For linear motion:
    aavg = Δv/Δt, right?

Just do the equivalent for angular motion (after converting your given angular velocity to the appropriate units).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?