Calculate Moment of Inertia of Disc w/ Added Mass: 40 to 30 revs/min

• Thread starter tomwilliam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the question is asking for the moment of inertia of a disc that is spinning at different angular speeds before and after a mass is added to it. The approach to solving this problem involves applying conservation of angular momentum and using the equation I1w1 = (I1+I2)w2, where I1 is the moment of inertia of the disc alone, w1 is the angular speed before, I2 is the moment of inertia of the added mass, and w2 is the angular speed after. The diameter of the disc is not necessary for this approach. Another method to check the answer is using conservation of energy, using the equation Erot = 1/2 I w^2. However, this method may be
tomwilliam

Homework Statement

find the moment of inertia of a disc of diameter D that spins freely at 40 revs/min, then reduces to 30 revs/min when a mass m is added to the disc at x from the centre. I know m, x, both angular speeds, and the diameter of the disc.

Homework Equations

L = Iw
I = (mr^2)/2 (moment of inertia of a disc)
I = mr^2 (moment of inertia of a particle a distance r from the axis)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is a question about conservation of angular momentum. I've been assuming that because angular momentum (L) is the same before and after the mass falling, I can state:
I1w1 = (I1+I2)w2, where I1 is moment of inertia of the disc alone, w1 is angular speed before and I2 is the moment of inertia of the mass and w2 angular speed after the mass falls onto the wheel. I can calculate I2 = mr^2, so therefore calculate I1. Just to confirm, I have the angular speed before and after, I have the distance x and the mass m, I have the diameter of the disc also.
Can someone confirm that this is the right approach? I don't know how the diameter (or radius) of the disc comes into it, as it seems that this approach will calculate the value of I, so I don't need to find the mass and therefore find mr^2 to find I1. I also find that the values I've calculated so far seem pretty low, so I'm thinking I might have the wrong approach. Help appreciated - but please don't solve it for me! Just some pointers...
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, TomWilliam.
Your approach looks good to me.
It would be interesting to use conservation of energy as a check.

Thanks for that.
The idea of checking with rotational energy is a good one. I'm not sure how to do it though. I don't have the mass of the disc - so I would have to use the calculated value of I1 to check using Erot = 1/2 I w^2.
Also, I don't know about conservation of energy in these situations, because I don't know how much energy the (unknown) additional mass on the disc will add to the system. I'll have a go at calculating this, but if it were possible to solve the problem using conservation of energy, I would have thought it would be much easier!

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia of a disc with added mass?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia of a disc with added mass is I = (1/2)MR^2 + MR^2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the disc, and R is the radius of the disc.

2. How do the revolutions per minute (rpm) affect the moment of inertia of the disc?

The higher the revolutions per minute (rpm) of the disc, the greater the moment of inertia will be. This is because the increased speed causes the added mass to have a greater angular momentum, resulting in a higher moment of inertia.

3. Can the added mass of the disc affect the moment of inertia?

Yes, the added mass of the disc will have an impact on the moment of inertia. The more mass that is added, the greater the moment of inertia will be.

4. How does the radius of the disc impact the moment of inertia calculation?

The radius of the disc is a key factor in the moment of inertia calculation. The larger the radius, the greater the moment of inertia will be. This is because the mass is distributed further from the center, resulting in a larger moment of inertia.

5. Is there a difference between the moment of inertia of a disc with and without added mass?

Yes, there is a difference between the moment of inertia of a disc with and without added mass. The added mass will increase the moment of inertia, as it adds to the overall mass and affects the distribution of mass in the disc. This will result in a higher moment of inertia calculation compared to a disc without added mass.