1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pound-mass vs pound-force

1. Aug 8, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm having a slow day (pun intended) today, and I need a little help. I'm getting pound-mass and pound-force mixed up in my head. On a psychrometric chart, it just says "pounds", but is 14 lb/ft^3 the mass or weight density of air? I've been using cheater equations for the past few years, but now I need to do derive the typical hvac cheater equation for pressure vs velocity:

VP=4005 V^1/2

VP = velocity pressure in inchess of water
    V = Velocity of air in feet per minute

So where does the 4005 come from...?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Ok, so it would appear that I'm not a complete idiot. See, the problem my boss and I were having is that we were not able to reconcile equation 1 on PDF page 55 http://www.alnor.com/downloads/manuals/1980497B.pdf [Broken] with our "cheater" equation. The problem -- the equation is wrong in our flow-hood manual. Still, I'd like to finish the derivation...

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  4. Aug 9, 2005 #3
    (P1-P2)/Rho = V^2/2g (P1 is the total pressure, against the flow, and P2 is the static pressure, perpendicular to the flow, of the measurement)

Density of air at STP is, approximately, 0.075lbm/cu.ft.
    1lbf/sq.ft = 0.1922 inches wg
    g = 115820 ft/min^2

So, V = [2g(P1-P2)/Rho]^1/2 = [2x115820(VP)/(0.075x0.1922]^1/2 = 4008.66(VP)^1/2

Better conversion factors yield the result close to the standard constant 4005.

5. Aug 9, 2005 #4
    (eh.. with all hatred towards IP system) Change that g to gc (32.2 lbm.ft/lbf.sec^2)

By the way, the constant 4005 is derived not because better unit conversions are used but the decimal value is chopped off (courtesy : ASHRAE handbook of fundamentals 2005)

Only correction required to the eq. given in the above reference is to put the density under the square root.

6. Aug 9, 2005 #5

russ_watters

Thanks - I must've worked on that for an hour and couldn't get my units straight. I've only been in "the real world" for 4 years and already I'm starting to get rusty...

7. Aug 12, 2005 #6
    I know the feeling! Possibly the best thing about the ISO/SI system is that it forces a clear distinction between mass and weight?

8. Aug 12, 2005 #7

Astronuc

One of the primary reasons I prefer metric/SI! IP is so . . . :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook