Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pounds v.s Kilograms?

1. Feb 26, 2004 #1
    A pound being a measure of weight (force)and a kg being a measure of mass - how would I convert lbs. to Kg? If F=ma, Kg would be on the right of the equation and Lb. on the left which I don't think is equal since a lb. takes into consideration the acceleration of gravity and the Kg does not. I can't seem to put together the acceleration part. If I were to set an equation of - w=mg (w=weight)using the slug as the mass in this equation (similar to the m being the Kg in F=ma)would this be going in the right direction? Pounds v.s Kilograms?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

YOu are so correct in being bothered about this. When we measure "weight" in kilograms, we are perpetuating a misconception.

What we mean is "the equivalent weight of this number of kilograms on the earth's surface. Since most people will not go to a place where g is any different, it really doesn't matter on a daily basis.

To convert "kilograms to pounds" you are actually converting "the weight of so many kilograms" to pounds. THe shortcut: take the number of kilograms and multiply by 2.2. This product will be the weight (in pounds) of however many kilograms you have.

4. Feb 26, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This is an issue that in practice, both systems screw up. A spring-scale measures weight, and a balance measures mass. In practice, neither differentiates between the two.

5. Feb 26, 2004 #4
    Thanks Chi.
    What I am interested in is how do I get to the daily conversion of 2.2 Kg/Lb.? There has to be something or a formula to account for the acceleration of gravity. Can anyone come up with the actual conversion? I have been unable to find anything of the sort.
    Hollywood

6. Feb 26, 2004 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The weight in newtons: (mass) x (g)

the conversion: one pound of force is exactly 4.448 newtons.

take your kilograms, multiply by 9.801 m/s^2 (that's "g") then divide by 4.448 newtons/pound, et voila.

Or, as I mentioned, keep the factor of 9.801/4.448 (that equals 2.203) to go directly from kilograms to pounds. (Remember, if you go to mars, you need to redo this)

7. Feb 26, 2004 #6
    Thanks Chi Menson!!

That will help!

8. Feb 27, 2004 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's 2.2 lb/kg. And the forumla is f=ma. Make two equations and set a=a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?