1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pounds v.s Kilograms?

1. Feb 26, 2004 #1
    A pound being a measure of weight (force)and a kg being a measure of mass - how would I convert lbs. to Kg? If F=ma, Kg would be on the right of the equation and Lb. on the left which I don't think is equal since a lb. takes into consideration the acceleration of gravity and the Kg does not. I can't seem to put together the acceleration part. If I were to set an equation of - w=mg (w=weight)using the slug as the mass in this equation (similar to the m being the Kg in F=ma)would this be going in the right direction? Pounds v.s Kilograms?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

YOu are so correct in being bothered about this. When we measure "weight" in kilograms, we are perpetuating a misconception.

What we mean is "the equivalent weight of this number of kilograms on the earth's surface. Since most people will not go to a place where g is any different, it really doesn't matter on a daily basis.

To convert "kilograms to pounds" you are actually converting "the weight of so many kilograms" to pounds. THe shortcut: take the number of kilograms and multiply by 2.2. This product will be the weight (in pounds) of however many kilograms you have.

4. Feb 26, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This is an issue that in practice, both systems screw up. A spring-scale measures weight, and a balance measures mass. In practice, neither differentiates between the two.

5. Feb 26, 2004 #4
    Thanks Chi.
    What I am interested in is how do I get to the daily conversion of 2.2 Kg/Lb.? There has to be something or a formula to account for the acceleration of gravity. Can anyone come up with the actual conversion? I have been unable to find anything of the sort.
    Hollywood

6. Feb 26, 2004 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The weight in newtons: (mass) x (g)

the conversion: one pound of force is exactly 4.448 newtons.

take your kilograms, multiply by 9.801 m/s^2 (that's "g") then divide by 4.448 newtons/pound, et voila.

Or, as I mentioned, keep the factor of 9.801/4.448 (that equals 2.203) to go directly from kilograms to pounds. (Remember, if you go to mars, you need to redo this)

7. Feb 26, 2004 #6
    Thanks Chi Menson!!

That will help!

8. Feb 27, 2004 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's 2.2 lb/kg. And the forumla is f=ma. Make two equations and set a=a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?