Pounds vs Kilograms conversion

• Thread starter Hollywood Dave
  • Start date
In summary, converting between pounds and kilograms can be done using the formulas: 1 pound = 0.45359237 kilograms and 1 kilogram = 2.20462262 pounds. To convert a specific number of pounds to kilograms, multiply the number of pounds by 0.45359237. To convert a specific number of kilograms to pounds, multiply the number of kilograms by 2.20462262. However, it's important to note that when measuring "weight" in kilograms, we are actually measuring the equivalent weight of that number of kilograms on Earth's surface, and not the actual mass. Both systems have their own misconceptions and in practice, neither differentiates between weight and mass.
Hollywood Dave
A pound being a measure of weight (force)and a kg being a measure of mass - how would I convert lbs. to Kg? If F=ma, Kg would be on the right of the equation and Lb. on the left which I don't think is equal since a lb. takes into consideration the acceleration of gravity and the Kg does not. I can't seem to put together the acceleration part. If I were to set an equation of - w=mg (w=weight)using the slug as the mass in this equation (similar to the m being the Kg in F=ma)would this be going in the right direction? Pounds v.s Kilograms?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
YOu are so correct in being bothered about how to convert pounds to kg. When we measure "weight" in kilograms, we are perpetuating a misconception.

What we mean is "the equivalent weight of this number of kilograms on the Earth's surface. Since most people will not go to a place where g is any different, it really doesn't matter on a daily basis.

To convert "kilograms to pounds" you are actually converting "the weight of so many kilograms" to pounds. THe shortcut: take the number of kilograms and multiply by 2.2. This product will be the weight (in pounds) of however many kilograms you have.

Originally posted by Chi Meson
YOu are so correct in being bothered about this. When we measure "weight" in kilograms, we are perpetuating a misconception.
This is an issue that in practice, both systems screw up. A spring-scale measures weight, and a balance measures mass. In practice, neither differentiates between the two.

Thanks Chi.
What I am interested in is how do I get to the daily conversion of 2.2 Kg/Lb.? There has to be something or a formula to account for the acceleration of gravity. Can anyone come up with the actual conversion? I have been unable to find anything of the sort.
Hollywood

The weight in Newtons: (mass) x (g)

the conversion: one pound of force is exactly 4.448 Newtons.

take your kilograms, multiply by 9.801 m/s^2 (that's "g") then divide by 4.448 Newtons/pound, et voila.

Or, as I mentioned, keep the factor of 9.801/4.448 (that equals 2.203) to go directly from kilograms to pounds. (Remember, if you go to mars, you need to redo this)

Thanks Chi Menson!
That will help!

To convert from pounds to kilograms, you can use the following formula:

1 pound = 0.45359237 kilograms

To convert from kilograms to pounds, you can use the following formula:

1 kilogram = 2.20462262 pounds

To convert a specific number of pounds to kilograms, you can multiply the number of pounds by 0.45359237. For example, to convert 20 pounds to kilograms:

20 pounds x 0.45359237 = 9.0718474 kilograms

To convert a specific number of kilograms to pounds, you can multiply the number of kilograms by 2.20462262. For example, to convert 10 kilograms to pounds:

10 kilograms x 2.20462262 = 22.046226 pounds

Originally posted by Hollywood Dave
What I am interested in is how do I get to the daily conversion of 2.2 Kg/Lb.? There has to be something or a formula to account for the acceleration of gravity. Can anyone come up with the actual conversion? I have been unable to find anything of the sort.
Hollywood
That's 2.2 lb/kg. And the forumla is f=ma. Make two equations and set a=a. Good luck with the pounds to kg conversion.

What is the difference between pounds and kilograms?

The main difference between pounds and kilograms is the unit of measurement. Pounds (lbs) are used to measure weight or mass in the imperial system, primarily in the United States, while kilograms (kg) are used in the metric system, which is used in most parts of the world. One pound is equal to 0.45359237 kilograms.

Why do we need to convert between pounds and kilograms?

Converting between pounds and kilograms is necessary when dealing with different units of measurement. For example, if you are traveling to a country that uses the metric system, you may need to convert your weight from pounds to kilograms to understand your weight in the local unit of measurement. Additionally, some scientific experiments or calculations may require measurements in both pounds and kilograms.

How do you convert pounds to kilograms?

To convert pounds to kilograms, you can use the formula: kilograms = pounds x 0.45359237. For example, if you have 50 pounds, the calculation would be: 50 x 0.45359237 = 22.6796185 kilograms. Alternatively, you can use an online conversion calculator or a conversion chart to quickly convert between the two units.

Can you convert between pounds and kilograms for any object?

Yes, you can convert between pounds and kilograms for any object, as long as you know the weight or mass in one unit. The conversion factor between the two units is constant, meaning it can be applied to any object regardless of its size or type. However, it is essential to note that pounds and kilograms measure different properties of an object, with pounds measuring weight and kilograms measuring mass.

Is there a standard conversion rate between pounds and kilograms?

Yes, the standard conversion rate between pounds and kilograms is 1 pound = 0.45359237 kilograms. This rate is based on the international avoirdupois pound, which is the most commonly used pound measurement. It is important to note that there are other types of pounds, such as the troy pound, which have different conversion rates to kilograms.