Pouring acids and bases over sinks

In summary, the conversation discusses which actions should be avoided in a laboratory setting. The options given are pouring acids and bases over a sink, wearing goggles, and heating a stoppered test tube. The correct answer is option C, which means heating a stoppered test tube should not be done in a laboratory. However, the question can be interpreted differently and in certain situations, it may be necessary to pour acids and bases over a sink.
TT0

Homework Statement

Which of the following would you not do in a laboratory setting?

I. Pour acids and bases over a sink
II. Wear goggles
III. Heat a stoppered test tube

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose D but apparently it is C. I thought you shouldn't pour acids and bases over sinks, can someone clarify? (I have seen this multiple times)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i would still say its D because it is never a practice to pour excess chemical into the sink (at least when i was in college). Weak Acid or Base maybe are permitted by some school? Better refer to your teacher and ask him/her the reason.

Likes TT0
Drain cleaners contain either strong base (NaOH) or strong acid (H2SO4), and they are routinely used throughout the world in millions of households. While the general idea that you should not get rid of excess chemicals by pouring them into the sink is definitely right, such simple rules sometimes become blatantly absurd when compared with the reality.

Likes TT0
Agree with Borek.
It does not say, "dispose of acids and bases into the sink."

TT0 said:
which certain situations and necessity will dictate.

Likes TT0 and CrazyNinja
TT0 said:
My take on this question is when transferring from a container to a smaller one, should it be performed over a sink to catch any spill. Otherwise, you'll be cleaning up the spill off the bench and other apparatus (and possibly the floor and yourself).

Pouring "over" in this context can have a meaning quite different from "into".

Likes TT0

1. What happens when you pour an acid over a sink?

When an acid is poured over a sink, it can react with the metal or porcelain of the sink, causing it to corrode or become discolored. This can also release harmful fumes into the air.

2. Can pouring a base over a sink damage it?

Yes, pouring a base over a sink can also cause damage. Bases are corrosive and can react with the materials of the sink, causing it to become discolored or even crack. It is not recommended to pour any type of corrosive substance over a sink.

3. How should I dispose of acids and bases?

Acids and bases should be disposed of properly according to local regulations. In most cases, they should be neutralized with a base or acid respectively, before being disposed of in a designated hazardous waste facility.

4. Can pouring acids and bases over a sink be dangerous?

Yes, pouring acids and bases over a sink can be dangerous. It can release harmful fumes into the air and cause damage to the sink. It is important to handle these substances with caution and follow proper safety procedures.

5. Is it safe to pour water over a sink after using acids or bases?

It is generally safe to pour water over a sink after using acids or bases, as long as the substances have been neutralized or properly disposed of beforehand. However, it is always best to consult the safety guidelines for the specific substances used and to take proper precautions to avoid any potential hazards.